14 Ft. Opening. double gate help

Old 03-25-06, 05:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14 Ft. Opening. double gate help

Hello all,

I have a 14ft. opening ( driveway is that wide) I am planning on erecting a double gate. I have already put 4X6 post in 2 ft. of concrete. I should have come here first but on with the show. I would like some suggestions on construction of each 7ft. section. ALso what are the best hinges to use? the screw in lag and slide on type or the regular heavy duty Hinge? I am going to use wheels. I am going to have it open towards the rest of the driveway. Wheels will be ideal, any suggestions on wheels? WHat about cable supports? do I still need them with wheels?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Doing it myself

Old 03-27-06, 06:34 AM
D
19' with metal posts....

I have the exact same project, but with metal posts, and 19' to span. Can't wait for the help!!

Old 03-27-06, 10:05 AM
B
Dougolio,

well, here is what I did. Don't know if it is right but it sure came out looking good.

Built a square frame out of 2X4's using heavy duty L shaped corner attachements. Attached my Pickets. Measured my hinges (I used the lag screw slide on hinges ) Pretty easy once i got the hang of it.

I need to find a spring loaded wheel, My drive way is on an incline where the gate opens.

Old 03-28-06, 05:48 AM
D
Unhappy Hinges

Thanks - I'm having a hard time finding the right hinges, since I'm framing a wood gate, with a metal post. Any suggestions? Doug

Old 03-28-06, 08:33 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Forget it it!

You don't need a 14' wide gate, unless you are moving modular homes. The widest legal trailer is 102" -- 8-1/2'.

Put in a 36" wide man gate on one side, a post, and then a pair of 5' wide gates, for a 10' wide opening.

Trust me, that's all you need!

Old 04-02-06, 02:36 PM
T
These can work...

These hinges can work for a wood gate, when attaching to a steel post or a wood post.

http://www.pacificgateworks.com/highloadhinges.htm

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: