Old wooden fence turning gray

Old 03-31-06, 06:41 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old wooden fence turning gray

Here's my problem:

My parents have a 20 year old birch (I think) wooden fence, and it no longer has an appealing wooden color to it. It is weathering and turning gray (or has turned gray) in many areas, and I want to do something to try and restore its original color.

According to my father, around 10 years ago he used some bleaching agent or chemical on the fence, rinsed it off, and then later used a sealer, but he can't remember exactely what chemical it was that he used to bleach.

I've gotten a sprayer and Behr bleaching / cleaning product and have used it according to the instructions, but it isn't working too well - some of the color has come back, but not much. I've increased the concentration to water ratio, but to no avail.

Does anyone know of a good product to use or any tips to restore the original wood color of a fence?

Old 04-01-06, 09:40 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wood turns gray when it's exposed to the elements -- water and sun. You can spend a small fortune trying different things to get rid of the gray. Some will work better than others. But even if you are successful in getting rid of the gray now, it's gonna turn back in a few years (or sooner). A less time and costly solution might be to leave it gray and use a solid stain to get it to the color you want.

Old 06-26-07, 10:19 AM
M
Bleach it

You can just use straight bleach to whiten the heck out of it and then LIGHTLY powerwash it, don't get to over zealous with the powerwasher or you will raise the grain of the wood. Do that and then let it dry for a few days and then you can stain it, i used readyseal on my deck and it looks awesome, very easy to use!

Old 06-28-07, 10:30 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
But even after you do all of that, it's wood and it's exposed to the elements. It'll be gray within a year or so!!!

Old 06-29-07, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
DO NOT USE STRAIGHT BLEACH!!!!

Overly concentrated bleach will destroy wood fibers! Never use regular bleach stronger than 50/50 bleach and water. Don't let it dry on the wood either. Spraying a bleach solution on the wood and rinsing with a pressure washer will bring back a lot of the original color. The commercially prepared cleaners and wood brightners will also work and they are more diy friendly.

After the fence is cleaned and dry, apply some type of sealer. Clear sealers have a short life time, solid stains last the longest with semi-transparent stains falling in the middle. I'd recomend going to a real paint store and letting them guide you to the best coating for your needs/wants.

Old 06-01-13, 03:47 AM
D
iirc, you may be thinking about Trisodium Phosphate, or TSP. Painters sometimes use a mixture of TSP and bleach before painting.

Old 06-01-13, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
Welcome to the forums DIYonPOINT!

You are replying to a 7yr old post
TSP is a great cleaning agent but it won't do much for restoring the color of wood that has turned grey. Bleach/water is great for removing mildew and lightening up weathered wood. TSP is best for removing dirt/grime and making old paints with a sheen accept paint better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: