Fence questions, need some help.

Old 04-04-06, 01:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm going to stick build an 80 foot long 6' privacy fence down our property line. I will be going with steel posts, concrete and pgt's. I live in Chicago and it seems the frost line here is 3' 6" (I had a hard time getting that info) but all the post I see at the big box stores are 6 or 8 foot I was hoping to use a 10. Is a two foot footing all that's needed for a steel post (I can't believe this is the case)?

Also the fence just runs down the property line with no corners or gates attached. Can I use line posts for the whole thing or should I use corner posts for the ends?

One last thing, I'm gonna use screws, what kind and size should I get for pressure treated (possibly ceder if budget allows), and can pressure treated be stained?

thanks for the help
deacon

Old 04-04-06, 06:17 PM

Use corner posts for the ends. Every line must have an end. Not much more cost and well worth it for stability.

If you go shallow, you have less lateral strength and a greater likelyhood for heaving upward. Frost heaves depend on the actual (not code depth), material in the ground and the soil (not just backfill) type.

Who ever said code has anything to do with performance of a fence. Usually a frost depth applies to building foundations. A code is only a minimum legal limit, not the right way to do it.

Dick

Old 04-05-06, 10:27 AM
T
Thanks I'll use the corner posts. ok, so how am I to find out or know, how deep to set the posts? I'll be concreting them in in fairly organic soil, with small amounts of clay.

Old 04-05-06, 01:44 PM

Organic soil is good for growing things, not for support. - Unfortunately, some terms describing soil are not very accurate.

Clay is O.K., but will allowing leaning if saturated. - No big problem if you have the depth. West of Chicago, you do not have the "fat" clay, but be wary of blue clays. The width of the concrete around the steel will make up for the lack of area for the steel.

Stability is local and depends on what works in your area. Find a couple of local fences that look OK and find out what they did and how it compares to your system.

Find out what a local contractor will install. If he is quoting based on price, make sure you are doing something better, so you get something out of your free DIY labor. With free labor you can use better materials and methods.

Dick

Old 04-07-06, 01:14 PM
T
Well nobody in the Chicago area sells 10' steel posts so i can get 42" below grade (frost line). I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I want to use steel but I may have to go with wood.

I was wondering if I get 8' posts and still dig the hole 42" deep, fill half the hole with concrete the set the post in and then fill the rest of the hole, and secure the post so it won't sink in the concrete (i'll also mix it heavy to help keep it up). Effectivly lengthing the posts below frost depth.

Is this a crazy idea?

Old 04-07-06, 06:30 PM
E
You need to go to a fence supplier to get 10' Steel Posts. A local home center will not carry them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: