6ft high wood privacy fence

Old 04-09-06, 09:10 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to add a wood privacy fence to my back yard. I live in South Florida and it seems we need to use concrete to hold the posts in. I think they need to be at least 18" deep. Anyway I've figured out I'll need about 40 4X4 posts spaced 4ft apart. Each post would require 1 bag of cement. Can I just pour the cement in dry and then add water. What about the where the fence meets the house? Do I need a in the ground there or can I anchor it to the house some how? If anybody could direct me to online plans I'd appreciate it.

Old 04-09-06, 09:56 AM
Im in sw fl and concrete isnt used around here . posts are set 6' apart holes at least 36" deep

I went as deep as I could up to 48 " for some

what I did was just start looking around at fences and if you see a crew installing one just stop and watch for a few minitues.

I dont see the pros around here using concrete so I didnt either .

I also checked all the books they had out of the local library on feneces and read as much as I could on boards like this

I got my fence used from a couple of demo sales at houses that where to be torn down so I had the advatntage of seeing how they installed.

I expected the posts would be in concrete but Ive pulled over 50 4x4x10' posts all pro installed and not one in concrete . since then I watch every pro crew I see and Ive never seen andy sign of concrete for the posts .

Old 04-09-06, 01:23 PM
J
It's quite the opposite down here. I have yet to come across a fence that is not cemented in. I have asked all my neighbors and have stopped on the street if I see someone installing a fence. Everyone uses concrete. We are right near the water though and only about 10ft about sea level. I'm not worried about cementing the posts in I just wondered if there were any tips. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-09-06, 03:53 PM
the two fences I pulled where both from waterfront homes and where pro installed .

cement or not you need to be deeper than 18" for 6' wood fence

Old 04-10-06, 11:09 AM
R
How about 24 inches for a 6 foot fence. This way, 8 footers can be used (I have quite a few of them laying around).

Thoughts?

Old 04-10-06, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
I fenced our back a few months back like that - 8' posts in 2' holes (with cement; you can do the dry mix way, but you won't get nearly the strength of mixing before pouring).

Old 04-10-06, 06:50 PM
S
I'm nowhere near FL, but am in a high wind, definitely wet area. I put 8 footers in buried 2 ft to give me a 6 ft fence. Used concrete- 1 to 1.5 40 lb bags per. My spacing sits at 8 foot between (every post ends one section and begins another). My fence is 1/2" standard and I have had no problems (other than a bad gate hinge) for two years.

Old 04-10-06, 07:36 PM

The depth of the post is the number one factor in stability. Doubling the depth will give 4 to 8 times the stability.

The second factor is the width of the material (post + concrete) in the ground. Obviously, a post in concrete is more stable than one not in concrete because it has greater lateral reisiance (width).

Few posts fail because of the strength of the post - it is the installation method and depth.

If you are a short-timer, you can skimp and almost anything will last for a couple of years.

Dick

Old 04-11-06, 11:59 AM
S
I would add that the last two years we've had storms strong enough to bring down my neighbor's 25 ft Maple and another where I lost a 35 ft Dogwood. The fence hasn't budged with the 2 ft anchor @ 1-1.5 bags of mix. (only the aforementioned hinge... dammit )

Old 04-27-06, 08:37 PM
J
Update

Hey guys I appreciate all the comments. When I went to get the permit they gave me a illistration of how I was supposed to build the fence according to the code. It showed a 8ft 4x4 in cemented in the ground 24". They also show 3 cross members to hold the pickets. So far I've got the posts in the grounds and the cross members on. I just need to put the pickets on and make some doors.

Old 04-28-06, 09:03 AM
J
Ok the fence is coming along nicely. I have started to put the dog ears up. I have a question regarding gates. Along the back of my property where the fence is there is a berm. I live in a new community and this berm is a common area. The community takes care of it. I would like access to it so I thought of putting a gate in the back. I will have a gate in front too. I want the gate in back to be hidden. What I mean by that is I want it to just look like a coninuation of the fence. Can give me some ideas/suggestions on how to do this. I think I have the design down I just don't know how to hang it so it looks seemless. I guess I need some kind of hidden hinge like what is used in kitchen cabinets.

Old 05-01-06, 05:58 AM
G
gsr
Hinge

Depends on how hidden you want the gate to be. I used 4 heavy door style hinges (like on interior house doors only heavy duty for outdoor use). And then used long screws to attach them From my side of the fence you can see the bolt for the hinges but they don't stand out (most people miss them). On the outside there is a 1/8 inch gap between the gate pannels and the posts so again unless you are looking you can't tell it's there. I have a rope that is mostly hidden that allows me to open the gate latch from the outside if I want or I can move the rope then no one can open it from outside without small hands and a lot of trying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: