Aligning wood double gate

Old 04-11-06, 06:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aligning wood double gate

For my first fence project I went for the gusto and tried to build a double gate in the middle with a pair of three foot doors. It's 5.5 feet tall, PT wood, 3 rails, 5/8 x 6 inch x 6 foot pickets all across the front, all bought from the big box stores.

I also bought two of those "no sag" gate kits from the store (I would not do it again based on various issues with them). These provide 4 metal corner pieces that you put inside four pieces of 2x4. The problem is this: No matter what I do, one gate twists to being 3/4" out of straight vertical front-to-back at the door edge, and the other is 3/4" out of level at the door edge the other way, so the gate pickets are misaligned in the middle when you see the doors from the front. I rebuilt one gate complete with pickets flat on concrete, and still it was crooked when hung back on the post (I had originally put the frame up and screwed the pickets on). What I have figured out is that the frame is fairly straight, but when the pickets go on tight with screws, they seem to exert uneven pressure on parts of the frame and cause it to bend.

Question: Is there a way to fix this, or should I just assume PT wood gates will twist anyway, and just put a couple of latches or bolts top and bottom so that the doors can be kept aligned when the double doors are closed? Or is there a better way to handle this? Is there a better metal frame I should have used?

Thank you
Ty

Old 04-11-06, 06:37 PM
G
gsr
Same problem...

I bought the same gate kits you did probably and had the same problems. Only solution I could come up with to work well other than getting rid of the kits (which probably would have been good) was to put a top and bottom latch on the gates. It squared them up nicely and actually a year later now the gates are staying square even if I took the hinges off.

You can try playing with the alignment of the hinges top to bottom - move one hinge forward or back on the post which helped a little but the double latch seemed to be the best option I found.

Old 04-11-06, 09:04 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tyyosh, gsr,

Use a metal gate frame and sag is not an issue.

I have 3 dbl wide gates, all were built using 1-5/8" tubes for the frame, with a diagonal brace. Nothing sags.

Old 04-11-06, 09:38 PM
T
Would like to know more

Lefty,
This sounds interesting. My neighbor has a gate that has what looks like pipe welded to make a square for the frame. Is that what you do as well? I also looked at Adjust-a-Gate on Hoover Fence's site and another one like it but since the gate is actually 34.5 inches per side not 36 I was not sure if those would fit.

Can you point us to sites, recommend products, or describe your method further? If there is a way to do this without welding, I would definitely like to know more. I have some tools (a lot more than before this project!) but not anything for welding.

Thank you
Ty

BTW I went through the forum archives this past week and really appreciate all the advice you have given on the posts.

Old 04-12-06, 03:44 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks.

Mine are welded because I have a neighbor who's a welder. There are adjustable frames available either on-line or at any big box store or lumberyard. And I have also used a chain link gate right off the shelf -- just remove the fabric and attach a couple of 2X4 rails to the frame.

Whether the Hoover frame you mentioned would work or not depends on how much adjustment there is to it. If it isn't narrow enough as is, you could shorten the rails so it could be made narrower.

Old 04-12-06, 07:56 PM
T
Thanks GSR

I will try the double latches to line up the edges of the doors. That sounds like the best answer to get this project done and move on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: