how deep to set fence posts in Ontario?

Old 04-24-06, 06:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how deep to set fence posts in Ontario?

Hi,

I am thinking of either having some fence post guys install some posts or maybe do it myself.

My main question is how deep should the fence posts be set in the ground? The fence itself will be 6'10" which is the max. allowable in the area. And i will use concrete to set them...

Thanks

Old 04-25-06, 05:54 AM
G
gsr
3' at least...

I'm not an expert at fences and I don't know how deep your frost line goes or what your soil is like but I'd put the post at least 3' in maybe more. At almost 7' tall you have a lot of fence to support. At 3' you could use a 10' post and not have to cut much off - you just have to be carefull some holes don't get to deep and end up with a short post.

My fence is 5' along the sides and 6' along the back. I wanted the 6' posts to have 3' in the ground so I bought 10' posts. On the sides rather than cut off more from the tops I put the holes almost 4' deep. I can feel the difference between the two depths if I try to wiggle the posts.

Old 04-26-06, 08:00 AM
B
Frostline for Ontario is 4'. I've done a few fences (three) and the minimum I've gone down in trouble spots (large stones) is 3'. All the fences have held up well, so I would say 3-4' will be fine, but shoot for 4'.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: