how to keep posts straight and true?

Old 05-08-06, 01:54 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to keep posts straight and true?

hello,
i'm making plans to replace the fence in the back yard. its leaning inwards a couple feet because this ivy bush on the other side is way over grown and really heavy.

after some reading i've realized, i have to 1) remove the fence, 2) dige post holes and then i'm stuck on step three:

how do i sink the posts in the concreet and keep them all straight up and perfectly in line? do i connect them all first with the cross bars and then level it and anchor it to the ground and then pour the concrete?

Old 05-08-06, 01:56 AM
M
also, is it important to keep the bottom of the post above the dirt so concrete will settle in between?

Old 05-08-06, 07:03 AM
G
gsr
Straight line...

I put the posts in then the concrete not sure if it would be better or not to have a little concrete below the post.

For getting the posts straight and level I used quicksetting concrete costs about twice as much but is firm enough to hold a post in place in a couple of minutes so I didn't bother with bracing and staking I just held the post for a minute to let it set, then waited 24 hours to start putting up the cross beams and slats. They all stayed straight and I figured the cost and time to hold each post was probably off-set by the time and cost of bracing each post. I used a post level to check the levelness while letting it set. To keep all the poles in line I set the corner posts then ran a string on the outside of them to match the rest of the posts too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: