post spacing

Old 05-12-06, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
post spacing

My fence project calls for a standard 6' board fence from pressure treated pine. I am finally starting this weekend.

I'm a bit concerned about spacing my posts 8' apart. I was planning to use 8' 2x4's for the rails.

My land is on a slight grade, and I dont want the fence to step the slope, but rather follow it. So if my posts are 8' on center, then won't my 8' rails come up a bit short if they are perpendicular to the slope?

How about spacing the posts 7' apart, and cutting down the 8' rails as needed? Or utilizing 16' rails as well?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited by gerry s; 05-12-06 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 03:18 PM
if your rails are parrel to the ground and your posts were on 90" centers w/ 24" rise (in the 90") your rails would need to be 93-1/8" i'd run w/ the 8foot rails and 7'6" centers and cut approx 3" off of each rail if your slope is less then 24" per 90"

Old 05-19-06, 10:09 AM
I spaced mine on 7 ft. 8 ft would be fine and use 8 ft 2x4 for the nailer if: you dug your hole perfectly on 8 ft centers. Not me, I went 7ft, some were longer some were shorter but only by a few inches. Save yourself some headaches when you can. My fence in the back yard was on a slope as well. I leveled my posts, spaced my 2x4 nailers accordingly and screwed my fence boards. Good Luck

Old 05-19-06, 12:50 PM
thanks all.

I went ahead and spaced them 7'6" apart. The slope is not too bad in most places, so I am sure it will vary a bit but never be greater than 8'.

Ordered my materials last night and they will be here tomorrow, so fun starts soon. Thanks for the well wishes, I think I'll need them!

-Gerry

Old 06-06-06, 03:27 PM
Smile post spacing

I wanted to put 5 8’ sections on one side of gate and 3 8’ sections on the other side on a line which followed the sidewalk and had a slight slope. My 8’ stringers were to be tied inside the 4”x4” post. I measured off 98” center to center along the slope of the sidewalk (took care of most of difference in length going down a slope) coming in from both sides. I found the width of the gate to be a little large. So I changed to 98 ½ inches and found the gate to be about right. I figured the stringers would be long enough since the possible length could be 96” + 3 ½ or 99 ½ inches, less the slight loss since the ends would not be exactly square to post. So I put the post, very carefully, to stay on the center line marker. When I installed the stringers for the 8 sections, I ended up with all being long enough, cutting off from ½ inch to about 1 ½ inches from the stringers.

I don’t necessarily advise you to do this since it takes very careful measurements and post settings, but it worked out great for me. I really wanted to limit the sections to 8 since the length was so close to working, and have the gate of proper width, which ended up about 44” You really have to be careful, and slope can only be gradual.