Questions about waterproofing..

Old 07-12-06, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about waterproofing..

Hi all.

I have some general (newbie) questions about applying weather sealant to my privacy fence.

First off, how do I know the boards are dry enough to apply the waterproofer? I'm scared of waiting too long or not long enough and messing my fence up.

Secondly, which sealant on the market will give me the best benefit? I've seen Lefty or someone on here suggest a particular brand. I've searched and cannot find the thread. But I think I remember him saying it was more expensive than Thompsons and other popular commercial brands, but worth the extra cost.

And finally, what do I want to look out for and stay away from, in the best interest of my dogs? I don't want to apply anything that might hurt them.

Anybody? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 11:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Usually 3-6 months is long enough to let PT wood weather.

Although thompson water seal was good in its day, it isn't a long lasting product - usually requires recoating at least once a year - however it is easy to apply.

Cabot makes a good stain, I hear silkens is good although I've not used it. SWP and Ben Moore both sell good stains. A paint store is the best place to find quality stains. The more pigment that a stain has the longer it will usually last. The price per gal is usually relative to how long the coating will last.

Old 07-12-06, 11:28 AM
In other words, like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for, right? Makes sense. I'm a firm believer in that way of thinking, anyway. Thanks for the tip.

As far as the other questions go, anybody got anything?

Thanks again...

Old 07-12-06, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by champdog
As far as the other questions go, anybody got anything?

If you mean about your pets - while I wouldn't want them to drink any paint or stain once dry I don't believe there would be a problem with any of todays coatings [less toxsic than yesteryear] latex, waterborne or oil base - all should be fine.

Old 07-13-06, 09:45 AM
Thanks, marksr.

I asked about the pets because I read somewhere a while back to look for products without a particular ingredient. Of course, I can't remember where online I read it.

Old 07-15-06, 07:16 PM
champdog,

The stain/sealers that I suggested were Cabots, Sikkens, Super Deck... Add to that list any the marksr mentioned. There are others as well.

You'll hae to go to a paint srore or a lumberyard to find any of them. You won't find them in a big orange or big blue box store.

And price is a very godd indicator in paints and stains. You'll get what you pay for, and you are going to pay for what you get.