Wood Fence on top of Concrete Block wall

Old 07-17-06, 02:30 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My Neighbors property sits about 3 ft higher then mine and I would like to biuld a 3 foot retaining wall cosisting of concrete landscaping Rock (about 4 or 5 high) to level off the property. I am putting in 12 inches of gravel behind the wall to allow for drainage. I am OK so far, however I also want to build a 6ft wood fence behind the wall. I want the fence to be as close to the wall to maximize my yard space. Where/how should I sink the posts for the fence? Can the 6 inch round concrete footers for the fence post go into the gravel or should I be sinking the footers all the way down into the ground below the gravel somehow? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-17-06, 04:27 PM

The posts should go into the current ground level of your property, just as far if there was no retaining wall built. The posts should go in before the wall is built and would be the normal depth for 6' high fence in your area. It will look like posts for a 9' fence until you build the wall.

After the posts are in place, build the wall and backfill as you would for an ordinary 3' segmental retaining wall.

With the wall backfilled you can then build the 6' fence panels as you choose.

You will end up with posts slightly longer than normal, but your fence will have support in natural soil.

Because you are only building a 6' high fence (with longer posts), there should be no special code requirements. Since you are only building a 3' high retaining wall, you should be able to build a normal gravity wall (less than 4' high) that does not require engineering.

If you try to have the newly built retaining wall support the backfill AND the fence you could run into code problems if someone wanted to get crazy.

Dick

Dick

Old 07-24-06, 09:35 AM
T
Thanks

Will do - thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: