Is 6' too long for a privacy fence gate?

Old 08-14-06, 06:56 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is 6' too long for a privacy fence gate?

Like many others I'm going to build a privacy fence around a chain link fence. I would like to put two gates where the old chain link gates are, they are 6' long, I plan to cut the pickets to about 3' tall and use the solid metal posts that are there.

Is there anyway to make the 6' x 3' gate stable and sag-proof. I'm not afraid to spend a little to get a good product. I want something that I'm not taking down in two months to re-enforce.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Old 08-17-06, 05:13 AM
G
gsr
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Its possible...

I have an 8' wide x 6' high gate made out of pressure treated wood and is done in a shadow box style to look like the rest of the fence. The gate itself is solid but the post is a little loose. I should have put in a longer post with more concrete to hold it solid.

I used a build a gate kit from a big box store. It has metal brackets for the corners and seems sturdy after a year. The only thing I dislike about the kit, is you need to have perfectly straight wood to have the gate be close to straight - not easy to find with green treeted wood. To get around the wood issue I used a top and bottom latch, it holds the gate square and gives it more support on the open end.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-07, 05:01 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Gates

Diagonal bracing will prevent the gates from sagging. Apply bracing to the gates and to the gate posts. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: