Converting chain link to wood - questions

Old 09-05-06, 11:36 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've been browsing this forum and was surprised to learn that it's possible to convert a chain link fence to a wooden one by reusing the same posts, and that it's also possible to make a fence taller. I have an old 4" chain link fence surrounding my back yard, and my neighbors apparently think it's just fine to pile yard waste and/or build their dog lot right against my fence. Lawn clippings on one side, giant dogs and their excrement on the other. Nice view. So I'd like a privacy fence -- the taller, the better.

So here's my question -- how do I know if my old chain link fence posts are stable enough to support the extra weight of wooden slats and/or a lengthening sleeve? I did an informal "wiggle" test and the posts move a bit... that's probably bad, right? Should I dig around them and see if I hit cement?

I am new at this so any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Emily

Old 09-05-06, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
..Off the top of my head Im thinking...IF they only wiggle a 'little', they still may be rigid enough to support your wooden fence..and may even tighten things up some, since the wood wont 'flex' as much as the chain link will/does....!
Id attach 2x4's horizontally to the posts using those 'U' bolts/clamps, (the diameter of your posts) and then attach your 2x6 (or whatever) planks to the 2x4's vertically....
Seems like a good idea....
(I was thinking of doing the same by attaching the horizontal 2x4's to the tree trunks of our hedge after trimming off all the branches....'coz I know its going to be a real PAIN to dig holes where I want the fence to go...)

Old 09-05-06, 09:06 PM
T
Check with your local building inspector's office to see if there are any height restrictions for your fence. Many areas have height restrictions. Some require permits.

Old 09-06-06, 08:43 PM
N
Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. I welcome all advice. I live outside city limits and my county website says fences are exempt from building permits, so I think I can do pretty much anything that's structurally sound.

Old 09-07-06, 10:07 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Newbie76,

I think that you would be well served to assume that there is probably an error in the County's website if it makes some blanket statement that fences are exempt from bldg. permits and go ask them in person. To a point (6 feet, to be specific!), I could go along with what the website says. But here, and in MOST areas that other posters in this forum have mentioned in the past several years, ANY fence over 6' tall is going to have to be engineered, and is going to require a permit.

If you are thinking of a fence over 6' tall, ask BEFORE you build. It'll be a whole lot cheaper in the long run!!

Old 09-07-06, 11:46 PM
D
I built an 8' cedar fence over a 4' chainlink. I sleaved the existing metal post with 6' metal posts, secured them with galvenized self-drilling screws, added metal hangers for the horizontal 2x4~8.
I then hung 8' boards on one side. I would not have done this if:
1. the existing posts wabbled at all.
2. there was the pressence of strong winds.
3. I thought an inspector could see the project and cause problems because where I live you need a permit for anything over 6 feet.

Old 09-08-06, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Make sure your posts are solid enough or you will be wasting a lot of time and money. There is a big difference between a 4' chain link fence and a 6' or more wood fence when it come to post requirements. Posts that work for a 4' may be totally inadequate when a 6' wood fence is attached.

there are 2 things to consider:

1. A wood fence will catch much more wind than chain link.

2. A higher fence has more area so it wll catch more wind and be more likely to tip the posts.

Take a long hard look at how stable your existing posts are.

Dick

Old 03-07-08, 11:17 PM
T
chain link to wood conversion

pondering the same issues--found this link for hardware in converting to wood. http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/awaclamp.htm

Old 03-08-08, 08:12 AM
Sweet....! Great idea

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: