Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

What's a cheap fencing solution for simply keeping my dog in the yard?

Old 12-11-06, 09:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

A quality fence can cost quite a bit, especially if you don't feel up to installing it yourself, I'd like to find an inexpensive way for me to to fence in the yard just for my dog. We're going to sell the house and move in a few years anyway, so I thought that a cheap fence could be put up to serve my purpose for now, which I could then simply take down later if it's a selling liability, i.e., doesn't look great.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John

Old 12-11-06, 09:08 AM
J
Thanks Mark, that's probably exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 12-11-06, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
2x4 fencing wire is probably the cheapest way to fence. It comes in 3' & 4' heights, 50' or 100' per roll. Stretch and staple to the posts.

Old 12-11-06, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I looked into having chain link installed a couple years ago, guys wanted $7/ foot. I don't have a fence.

Old 12-11-06, 04:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ya, chain link can be kind of pricey. We fenced in our rental MH [for our grandson] and I think doing the work ourselves it still ran about a grand

Chain link will hold up well for a long time but 2x4 fencing is a LOT cheaper.

Old 12-11-06, 05:37 PM
J
And for a temporary fence as I intend it, for simply fencing the dog in for a 2 to 3 year period until we sell, it makes sense. I've been told that fencing isn't an expense you get back when you sell your house, why exactly that is I don't know, but apparently that's the conventional real estate wisdom on the subject.
I had a few estimates done on fencing in my back yard (say 30' x 50' area) a couple years ago, and they were all in the 3 to 5 thousand $ range, depending upon the kind of fencing, just crazy.

Old 12-12-06, 03:00 PM
P
dog underground fencing can be as cheap as $600 for a half acre.
we all have had homes that we plan on living in for two to three years and some how that turns into five or six. home depot or lowes or the internet have the type wiring you need. i did this for two of my dogs that ran daily, they now stay in the yard.

Old 12-12-06, 04:33 PM
chain link looks terrible though , what about split rail with chicken wire streched over it ? I have that and after the wire ages a little it is almost invisible

Old 12-13-06, 09:29 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All depends on your dog and his motivation to get out. I've used invisible fencing with poor results.... chicken wire with worse results.... hog wire was a joke... then he figured out that he could jump a 6ft wooden fence... and it was all downhill from there.

Old 12-13-06, 09:48 AM
J
Yea, my dog shouldn't be bad about trying to get out of the fence, I think putting 4" x 4" posts in the ground and running chicken should be fine, and be as cheap as possible; if it was our forever home I'd be into putting up something permanent, but we're almost certainly of to Vermont within 3 years (now that could present an interesting fencing dilemna, because 300K gets you a hell of a lot, maybe 20 acres or more).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: