Chain link fence - set posts in concrete or not

Old 03-28-07, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in Iowa and the ground freezes and thaws. Most fence posts are set in concrete, but I've seen some that aren't. Those seem to be driven into the ground a good 3-4 feet. Would a fence be stable without the concrete? What would the pros and cons either way?

Thanks!
jdubb

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 11:17 AM

Much depends on the soil around it that prevent the posts from leaning.

A skinny steel post will tip easily in many soils. Setting the post in concrete increases the lateral reisitance many times.

you can always forget about the concrete if you have a long enoght post and a lot of energy.

Dick

Old 03-29-07, 09:40 PM
The ground has a lot of clay and it was tough to dig deck holes with a 2 man auger. My immediate neighbors didn't use concrete, but they are not on a hill. On one side of the yard it begins to slope down and the fence will be on that part. I'm concerned it may lean over time. You vote concrete?

We have youth laborers in the family and either way, they'll either have to dig the holes or drive in the posts.

jdubb

Old 11-17-07, 02:59 PM
same question

I was wondering the same thing. I have almost the exact situation, and I was worning what you ended up doing? I was thinking about putting the end posts in concrete and the line posts just pounded into the ground.

Old 11-17-07, 06:35 PM
A steel post has the same diameter top to bottom. If you set it in soil , it's GONNA lean over time. Set it in concrete. Dig the hole like a bell -- wider at the bottom than it is at the top. Just make sure that the bottom of hole is below your frost line. Then you will have no problems with the post ever leaning or rising.

Old 11-18-07, 12:13 PM
What do you think about those steel post anchors that the big box stores sell, that are supposed to do away with concrete?

Old 11-18-07, 01:17 PM

They do away with concrete.

They also will lean because of the area in contact with the soil.

It is just a question of how high or low your standards are.

Dick

Old 11-18-07, 07:56 PM
if you use ss 40 and drive them in 3 foot you don't need concrete. We use a Z ancor for the posts and only concrete the hinge post because that post might eventually turn in the ground from constant use.