Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

What size/type post for privacy fence in high wind area?

Old 04-01-07, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We have a section of fence that has blown down 3 times and are looking at ways to keep this from happening in the future. The fence is 3 - 6' tall panels & 4 posts. It runs from the corner of the house th the fence running along the side of the house. When there are strong winds, the 4X4 wood fence posts snap.

How do you calculate what size & type of fence post to use? I don't think the metal fence posts for chain link would be strong enough. This last time, the winds were 70 mph, so would like to have posts rated to about 100 mph.

Thank you,
Tonya

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-07, 09:32 AM
I am in the process of putting up a 6 foot privacy fence with 2 3/8 inch diameter posts. The wall thickness is 0.095 thickness. It would take a tremendous amount of force to buckle these posts. I'd get 9 foot posts and bury 3 feet in concrete in your situation.

Old 04-03-07, 05:33 PM
You could also put rebar into your post before you pour the concrete around it to set it. You then fill the post with concrete. That would give an even stronger post. You could also go with Schedule 40 pipe for added wall thickness.