Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

How to remove Large Tree Stump for fence-instllation

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-07, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi:
First off, many thanks for all helps/responses to my previous post.

After much consideration over installation of fences, about 60 ft. with 6 ft. private fence, we decided to hire a professional fence installer.

One problem over this is that a fence-estimate told us that we needs to 'remove' a large tree stump before fence-installation.

We did cut a large tree as much as we could, however it's very hard for us to cut it down to the ground level in order to install fence straight.

A chain-saw we used is NOT ideal, because neighbor's chain-link fence is only 2 - 3 inches away from the large tree stump. Is there any safe and good way to cut it down to the ground level?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 11:12 AM
Renting a stump grinder would be the usual answer to this problem, but contact of the fence with the grinder would be a very bad thing.

You didn't say what kind of fence is being installed - Wooden fences can be notched along their lower edge to clear obstacles like this. I'm not familiar with the PVC fences, so I don't know if this is possible with those.

Old 04-10-07, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes get a stump grinder can "chew" the stump and turn it into mulch to about 8 - 10 inches below grade.

MC

Old 04-10-07, 12:28 PM
The stump grinder would be the best, however, I think it would hit your neighbors fence. My next thought is and probably what I would do, is get a sawsall and a pack of long wood blades and start cutting. It will take a couple of hours, but it will do the trick. If you don't have one, they are easy to rent. Good Luck You will probably have to cut it up in chunks.

Old 04-11-07, 11:28 AM
You might try the old wedge and sledge method and work your way in chipping away at the stump. Sometimes it's pretty hard method depending on the type of tree and how long the stump has been there, but I found it to be pretty fast...

Old 04-12-07, 04:21 PM
Use a circular saw and cut a bunch of deep cuts across it. Do a cut about every 1/8 inch as deep as you can. Then knock of the remaining wood with a sledge hammer. Do the same process again if needed.

Old 04-22-07, 10:25 PM
The stump grinder will work ,I just used one to remove 17 stumps , one of which was 2 inches from a live tree - did'nt even touch it

Old 08-02-09, 12:50 PM
mrman1234,

Welcome to the forums.

This thread is 2 years old!! Except for Jack the Contractor who comes in here on occasion, I would imagine that all of the rest of the posters are probably long gone.

Please keep that in mind before you exhume any other threads that are several years old.

Closed Thread