Post Hole Digger

Old 04-26-07, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Hole Digger

Do you guys prefer either of the two post hole diggers shown in the links below? The second one seems like it would be the better method. I have about 40 posts to put in and would like to make it as fast and efficient as possible.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/aldy54/ph5000.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/aldy54/GroundHog.jpg
Thanks all,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 01:21 PM
Wow - you're getting serious, aren't ya...

It would appear the wheeled unit can be operated by one person - the other requires two.... so it depends on whether or not you have help...

I just dug 30 post holes for a new privacy fence this morning... but had to use the old manual method..... took me about 4 hours..... but cost me only $20 bucks - 18 years ago when I bought it...

Old 04-26-07, 05:31 PM
WGW
Years ago, I rented one much the same as in your first picture to do about 10 holes for a fence.
By the time we were on the last hole (beside the garage) we were pretty comfortable, until a rock about halfway down caught the blade of the digger and threw me hard enough against the garage wall to crack two ribs.
My son and I laugh about it now, but it sure hurt at the time!
Slow and easy is the only way to go with this machine.

Don't know anything bout the one in your second picture.

Old 04-26-07, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
I have experience with the two person one and would echo WGW's comment about the torque these things can exert if they jam on a rock.
Easy going and be prepared for a ride!

Because of the leverage of the arm the wheeled model it could be safer.

I personally have a six inch dirt auger that fits on my Jiffy brand ice fishing auger power head.
This set up is quite easy for one person because of the low power and the way the centrifugal clutch works.

Are you renting or buying either auger you are looking at?

Another option is to get an estimate for someone to do this for you.
A landscaper with an auger on a skid steer could do all your holes in a couple of hours.
Also, a skid steer can damage a lawn but if the operator is good it would be minimal.

Old 04-26-07, 08:35 PM
That's a pretty good number of holes. What kind of posts are you using, how deep are you digging and what kind of soil? Any roots or rocks?

The two man augers can beat you up pretty good and to rent the towable auger isn't that much more per day. Little Beaver sells a similar machine and they have a video of it in use on their website.

Old 04-27-07, 05:07 AM
Thank you all for the opinions. Its going to be a cedar split rail fence and I plan on renting the machine for a weekend. I will have help. The posts are going to be sunk 3 feet deep and the soil is so so. In my area (north of philadelphia) there is a good foot of top soil with clay and shale below that. The difference between the two machines to rent is 20 dollars a day.
Thanks

Old 04-27-07, 08:21 AM
The difference in your back will be worth it The arm-shaped design with the tires anchoring one end of the machine prevents it from wrenching you around when a rock or other obstruction is hit.

Old 04-27-07, 10:43 AM
If you are doing the work yoursel the second one will be less work on you
do yourself a favor call your states one call and have the lines marked it could save your life or a lot of money

Old 04-27-07, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Good advice to call to check for underground services.

Another tip is to have a needle bar or long pry bar to clear any small rocks that may be in the way.

Old 05-01-07, 08:48 PM
40 holes?? Look in the service directory of your local newspaper and call in a contractor who has a mini-excavator or a Bobcat to drill the holes. It'll probably cost you less than renting either of the post hole diggers that you are talking about, and you won't be going for any unplanned rides.

Old 05-02-07, 06:23 AM
gsr
Dingo

I had to put in 55 holes I rented a Dingo - basically a walk behind bobcat with an auger, bucket (and later a jack hammer) for it. I would have been able to drill the holes in less than a day but about 10 of the posts had large pieces of shale less than a foot down. That's where the jack-hammer attachement worked great. It was easy to operate and the machine did all the work. The bucket attachement made cleaning up all the extra dirt easy too.

I think it cost me an extra $10-20 over the wheeled model you posted. It was well worth it.

With the I put my entire fence in for less than it would have cost for someone in my area to come drill the holes.

Old 05-22-07, 09:54 AM
I rented the sea-saw machine and installing the fence was a breeze. My father and I installed 150' of 3-rail fence with 2 gates in one day. The post hole digger was an absolute life saver and well worth the 130$ rental cost. Thanks again for all the suggestions above.