Keeping fence line straight

Old 05-09-07, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keeping fence line straight

First time building a fence, and I want to know how to keep my line straight from Point A to B. A being start, B being end. I put down stakes roughly where every post would go and ran a string line. Looked good. Now that one side is done, I'm off half an inch on this post, half an inch on the other, etc. Any tips, does it matter, etc?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 06:19 AM
gsr
String...

Consider the wavy fence line character. Mine has a little waiver in it but I am rarely standing in a place to notice so I don't care.

To get a straight line put in post A & B then run a tight line between the two outside edges of the posts then as you put in the other posts you can put their outside edge against the string and you should have a straight line.

Old 05-11-07, 06:49 AM
I stretch two tight string lines between the first and last posts. One near the top and another near the bottom. There are a couple other things you have to remember.

1. Don't let any of your middle posts actually touch the string line, only get them close. Posts that touch will throw off the string line.

2. When you're checking the plumb of your posts, you will probably have to move the base of the post a little to get it plumb AND on the line. The two strings help you to get your post close to plumb in one direction without using a level. (Then use a level for final adjustment.)