What could this material Be?

Old 05-22-07, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What could this material Be?

Hello,

we have a sign out front of our Condo complex, it is a rather large sign, 3 feet by 7 feet. I am trying to figure out what the material is, it is not wood but sort of resembles wood.

The back of the sign is very smooth and the front has been routed or carved out or at least that is the impression that is given by the style. The front of the sign where is appears routed is rougher and is textured.

I have some pictures but do not know where I can post them.

In any event does anyone have any guesses what the material could be. And more importantly, we want to repaint this sign and would like to know if we need any special paints or techniques for the paint to stay on and last.

Also hope this is the correct category for this, was not really sure where to post.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-07, 09:14 AM
If you go to a site such as photobucket, you can host your pictures there and then provide a link here for us to copy and paste in a browser.

If you look around the sign real good is there a company name tag on it ? They could probably tell you what it's made of.

Old 05-22-07, 09:19 AM
Link

OK here is a link to it

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb65/evilintrovert/?action=view&current=sign1.jpg

I can add more if need be, I had to lower the quality a bit to get it up there.

Old 05-22-07, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Hard to tell by the pic what it is made of. Typically those types of signs are made out of laminated wood or some type of composite material. A quality latex or oil base house paint should work well on it but it would be nice to know what type of paint it was previously painted with.

If there isn't anything identifing who made/installed the sign, the condo association or the builder should have a record of who it was. A call to one of the local sign makers may also give a clue as to what type of coating is on it and what would be a good coating to use to repaint it.

Old 05-29-07, 06:55 AM
It appears to be a foam blank that has been sand blasted. There are several manufacturers of this type of substrate. The one that I use often is made by Carvagio. They are light weight, very easy to work with and accept vinyl and enamel very well. Most of the ones I use I apply Sign Gold vinyl and use One Shot enamel for accents and shadows.
Hope this helped.