4 1/2 X 4 1/2 posts?

Old 05-30-07, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
4 1/2 X 4 1/2 posts?

I want to make a little fence around my C/A unit that will duplicate the fence I inherited with the property. A local fence dealer wanted $850 in cedar, so I want to try DIY, but I can't find posts that measure 4 1/2" X 4 1/2", which is what the existing fence is. Is this because I'm only looking in Lowes and HD? Would a "legit" lumberyard have them?

Old 05-31-07, 01:08 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The measurements you gave are an unusual size. You may have to buy 6x6 posts which are actually 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 and rip them down to 4 1/2. Or use 4x4's (3 1/2 x 3 1/2) and add a one inch thick board to make 4 1/2.

A small fence around the C/A unit would look fine scaled down to 3 1/2 if the other fence is not too close to it. Posts would probably be on the inside and out of sight anyway. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-31-07, 02:32 PM
oddly, all the fences I encounter (the wooden ones, anyway) have these "5x5" posts, which measure 4.5x4.5. I thought about adding a 1" board to a 4x4, but that's only 3/4".

Old 06-01-07, 09:06 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Traeted deck boards are 5/4. Or 1 inch thick.

Old 07-27-07, 06:33 AM
well, I got lucky: while out running last week, I happened upon a neighbor's house where a cedar fence was being removed and a vinyl one going up. The fence guys gave me 4 posts - with caps! I've made good progress since, buying stock ballusters and other PT lumber, which I've "milled up" myself to make what I think are pretty convincing duplicates of the components of my "Mt. Vernon" fence with "Beacon Hill" pickets. One last piece I'd like to find is a metal bracket that holds the fence sections to the posts. The ones on my fence are simple little things, but the ones I see at HD are more elaborate (joist hangers etc.). If I can't find them I'll use a simple block of wood instead, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for the brackets.......?

Old 07-27-07, 11:18 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Brackets

Post a photo of the brackets. Someone will surely be able to help. Good luck.

Old 08-02-07, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi;
There is a small-section which carrying both 'regular' and 'odd' sized metal brackets at both, Home Depot and Lowe's when we did fence and other projects around backyard. It's not cheap, but very convenient to get one. In my recollection, one small piece bracket, about 3 x 3 x 1 with three holes cost about $1.88. All those metal brackets, however are very handy and also labor-saving. It's well worth to spend some more bucks to get those.

Also, local hardware stores, such as 'True Value' and 'community hardware store' asking for a special order on metal brackets for which you're looking. Even, fence company which deals with fence-installation may offer you an instruction where you can find one. If one does not offer an answer, then try other fence-companies. Because, some are nice but not always once coming to the business/money, as we all know.

Old 08-04-07, 02:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
eddieo45,

Might you be looking at Simpson FB24's or similar?? Photos would be a big help. Post them on a sight like photobucket or Yahoo photos and post the URL. Just a thought.

Old 08-20-07, 10:51 AM
project pretty much complete!

well, I pretty much completed the little fence project, and I have the photos here. I never did find the right brackets (lefty, those FB24's look like the ones!), but I made do with what was available at Home D, plus I used an alternate method, taking a piece of the same 2"x2" balluster and using it as kind of a cleat or tenon, with the mortise being the space between the inside and outside horizontal fence rails (sorry if I'm using the wrong terms).
First, I bought PT ballusters and, using my miter saw, cut the tops int points, then primed and painted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/07-27-07_1142.jpg
I then took PT 2X4's and 1X4's, routed them top and bottom to roughly match the rails on my professionally installed fence, then primed and painted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/07-27-07_1143.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/07-27-07_1141.jpg
Finally, I assembled the fence sections and attached them to my scavenged 5x5 posts, using brackets and cleats as stated above:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/08-16-07_1133.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/08-16-07_1134.jpg
I used deck screws on two sides and carriage bolts on the one that will likely have to be removed for annual A/C maintenance.
One real "micky mouse" method I'm especially proud of: the scavenged posts had two-inch holes where the rails of the old fence attached. After pondering various ways to plug the holes, I ended up using Great Stuff foam sealant. After it cured, I sawed it flush with a coping saw, sanded, primed and painted. Genius!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: