Installing vinyl fence posts

Old 06-08-07, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing vinyl fence posts

I am installing a vinyl 6' fence and i understand i install pressure treated 4"x4"
posts first,then slide the vinyl fence posts over the pressure treated posts.
My question is,how deep and how long should the wood posts be?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 07:04 PM
E
Why would you use wood posts? The whole point of a vinyl fence is to eliminate the fence from rotten. If you put wood posts in the ground the will break off and eliminate the lifetime feature of the vinyl fence. The vinyl fence that we put in have the rails go into the post anyway so there is no place to put a post inside it. We use aluminum inserts in the gate posts but the rest go into the ground blank.

Old 06-10-07, 04:59 AM
The wood posts were recommended by the fence store and the contractor putting it.
The vinyl posts are hollow inside and slide over the 4x4 for rigidity. The pressure treated 4x4's are not installed the full vertical length of the Vinyl post. Thus,i'm inquiring how much the wood post should be sticking out of the ground.

Old 06-10-07, 04:55 PM
L
NONE of the 15 or 18 fence contractors I know around here who install vinyl fencing use wood posts. They ALL set the vinyl directly in the post hole and concrete it it.

Old 06-10-07, 04:57 PM
E
Don't buy from home depot. If there posts are so thin that you need wood posts inside of them that should tell you something. I have installed hundreds of vinyl fences and never put a wood post inside. Take it for what its worth, if you buy from the box stores you get what you pay for