Wire Mesh on Post & Rail Fence

Old 09-10-07, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire Mesh on Post & Rail Fence

I am having a post and rail fence put in on my property. We want to add a wire mesh to keep the dogs in. My question is, should the wire be on the inside of the fence or outside?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I'd put it on the inside, that usually looks better from the road. Might hold a tad better too - if the dog body slammed the fence wire

Old 09-11-07, 11:13 AM
Not very attractive

I have never seen a wire mesh added to a post and rail fence that doesn't look like crap after a few years. It begins to rust and buckle and there is nothing you can do with it other than replace it.

If you install it, make sure you leave a 2-3" space at the bottom so you can weed whack under the wire mesh. Otherwise it is even more unattractive with weeds and grass growing up through it.

Old 09-11-07, 07:17 PM
annie55,

I agree with what both marksr and sgtgerryf said. Put the mesh on the inside, and it's gonna look like crap in a few years.

My next question is "are the dogs digger's"? Are they simply going to dig under it?

And, a rail fence means that the dogs will be able to see what's on the other side, and that's going to be a point of excitation for them, which is why they are going to want to get to the other side in the first place.

I think I'ld rethink the whole thing!