mighty mule gate openers

Old 09-14-07, 07:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mighty mule gate openers

I am in the middle of putting up out ranch/rail type frnce and have a tube/rail type gate 14 foot wide, I just wondered of anyone has something similar and one of those Mighty Mule openers.........the house is only about 60 yards away, but there is no power down to the road and not really an easy way to run it.......unit is the 350 model and cost approx $ 400..........thinking of solar, but is the cost of $135 + worth it for the pannels, I live in central FL so the sunshine is not a problem

the cost of the clickers is also a wammy almost $ 30 each and the unit only comes with one ( what a rip off ) I will need several more, the unit requires some type of special wire for a transformer that is NOT included and separate ( extra ) I would need about 250 foot has anyone bought the wire elsewhere ???
are there any other companies that make an affordable auto opener like the mule..........thanks

Old 09-14-07, 08:02 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
rentprop1,

You are going to have to figure out what you want and do it.

First, the cost of $135 for solar vs. the cost of running house power to the gate. Keep in mind that if you go solar, your electric meter isn't going to run every time that the gate is opened. IMHO, $135 for the solar unit is going to be a LOT cheaper to go with than trenching house power to the gate. Trenching house power is probably more like a $500 issue.

The operators are what the operators are. If you need 4 or 6 of them and they are $30 each, so be it. YOU are the one who wants the auto gate. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and pay the price for having it!!

There are quite a few companies that make auto gates. But, they are more of a luxury than a necessity, and you are going to pay for the convienience

Old 09-14-07, 10:04 PM
T
mighty mule gate opener

rentprop1
I have about the same setup, 16 foot gate some 200 feet from the house. I bought a 350 mighty mule opener from local Tractor Supply. I did not use the transformer, but got a 12volt marine battery and battery box from WalMart for around $50. Been using opener for about a year now and it has worked fine. I bring the battery up to the house every three months or so and charge it overnight. We cycle the gate about 4 times a day on average. I think the battery would go longer than the three months.
The remote that came with the opener will cycle the gate from the house (200 feet). One of our vehicles has a built in transmitter that we programed to open the gate. Bought an extra remote, the 2 button key chain type than can be set up to open your garage door also and its a couple of bucks cheaper than the one button.
I did secure the battery to a post to keep it from walking off. Bought a small combination lock to secure the pin where the opener connects to the gate. Keeps someone from pulling pin and opening gate,but lets us in incase of a failure.

Old 09-15-07, 07:46 PM
R
tx 650,
so you are not using solar or anything to keep the battery charged except the every 3 month recharge ?? or just doing the over night re-charge to keep it tip top.

also what type of battery ( you said marine ) but deep cycle or just regular starting battery

thanks

Old 09-15-07, 08:26 PM
T
mighty mule gate opener

rentprop1
Using deep cycle battery only,no solar cell. I recharge the battery overnite every 3 months or so. The gate opener draws very little current. If you have a regular 12volt car battery laying around it could be used.

tx650

Old 07-18-13, 09:39 AM
P
charge your battery

buy you a solar 5 watt trickle charger for your marine battery and remember to point it south so it can get the full range of the days sun connect it to your battery and it will charge while it is not being used to open the gate , remember that gate has a lot of idle time so it will be charging while it is not in use I use one on my lawn mower battery and leave it on all winter and it turns over in the spring just like it has a new battery and they only cost like 20 bucks at harbor freight and a little more at tractor supply. good luck

Old 07-18-13, 03:58 PM
T
Uh, this thread is six years old, my guess is that it's long since been resolved...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: