how do you put up ( install ) a fence ??

Old 09-17-07, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how do you put up ( install ) a fence ??

I am not trying to be funny, but have an interesting question, I will soon be installing a rail type ranch fence with 4 x 4 posts and 1 x 6 x 16 boards.
the property is about the same elevation, I want the fence to follow the slope of the yard ( down to the left slightly ) how do I go about measuring the distance.
if I run a string at 4 foot high from one side to the other the top board should follow the string and the fence should follow the slope ....right

or do I just sink each post to the same height so that each post is at 4 foot above ground.........I really am stuck trying to figue this out....maybe just a brain fart

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-07, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Fence

Install the posts so that the tops are high enough to allow trimming after the rails are installed. If you are using boards for the rails, the ends of the boards should be cut so that the cut ends are vertical (plumb). Install the bottom rails first and work toward the top. After all the rails are intalled, trim off the top of the post a uniform distance from the top rail to create a uniform appearance. You start with the bottom rail in case you need to make allowances for appearance due to uneveness of the ground. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Old 10-08-07, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
here is what I got so far, bought the earthquake post hole augger, its a real time saver, but only drills about 2.5 - 3 feet, you still need a post hole digger to get the sand/soil out if the bottom of the hole. I am putting it up myself with limited help ( only my wife to help hold things )...before I get further into anything not look right ....thanks