metal vs wood post size for 6' x 6' gate

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-07, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
metal vs wood post size for 6' x 6' gate

As detailed in another post, I'm installing a set pair of 6' x 6' privacy fence gates, to span a 12' opening. The gates are freestanding, so they are -not- inline with an existing fence. I'm planning on installing gate wheels to ease the stress on the posts, but still...

I've got (2) 8" holes, approx 24" deep. I have yet to set the 8' posts. I'm wondering what would be the best option:

4x4 PT posts, as being used on the rest of the fence
6x6 PT posts
3" x 3" 14 GA (.075, ~5/64") square steel tubing
3" x 3" 3/16" square steel tubing

The 6x6 PT post run about $20 each. That's $40/gate, or $80 if I use them for the rear gate as well (same size, but on level grade).

3" steel square in 14 GA will run $85.52 for 4 of them.

3" steel square in 3/16 will run $135.92 for 4 of them.

As you can see, there isn't a significant price difference. I know steel will last longer, so I'm leaning towards the 3" square in 14 GA, for the same price as the 6" treated post. However, I don't know if that 14 GA (5/64", .0075) will be strong enough to support the gate. Again, the gates will all have gate wheels to ease the load on the posts.

This steel is from a local metal yard, so it will be bare / uncoated. I'm guessing a coat of paint will be needed (at the least) to minimize rust.

Input? Suggestion on a better steel / wood post?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-07, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bmonnig,

Please keep all of your questions in ONE thread. I'm closing this one since you have asked the same questions elsewhere and gotten answers.

Closed Thread