Stair Rail??

Old 10-21-07, 09:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stair Rail??

I need to put a new stair rail on my front steps. There apparently was one there at one time, because there are holes in the siding. I think the previous owners re-did the whole front steps/walkway and didn't put up a railing. There are 3 steps.

Where the heck to you buy railings?? I mean, do they come pre-made? HD doesn't have them. I'm not sure if I want wrought iron, wood or vinyl. All I know is I don't have a big budget for it.

Old 10-22-07, 04:57 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Railing

I built my own from porch railing materials.

Old 10-22-07, 06:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While there are standards by which steps follow, most differ slightly to accomadate the space. I doubt you will find any pre made railings. As Ken stated it isn't all that hard to build them utilizing railing parts.

Old 10-26-07, 06:55 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are several sources for pre-made railings. Some are in kit forms (vinyl) so you can alter it to fit your particular application, and others you simply by the components (aluminum and composite).

Vinyl, composite, and aluminum are available through most lumber yards, but you'll probably be ordering them.

There are rules and codes that have to be followed with railings. Make sure you know what they are, then follow them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: