Gate Openers......

Old 11-25-07, 09:30 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gate Openers......

Any suggestions on gate openers (brand)?

Our neighbor just put in a Mighty Mule and the thing take a very long time in the opening cycle.

Looking for something faster and want exit loops and intercom.

Door King and Elite are brands I see, but looking for someone with experience so I don't waste money and get a good product.

Thanks

Old 12-23-07, 03:53 PM
S
New Gate Opener

There is a new gate opener that is revolutionary in its design and ease of intsallation. The company can be found at turnstylegates.com and the secret appears to be that the post has the entire mechanism in it and it rotates instead of having an arm on a swing type gate.

The gate seems, safer, uses less electricity, is a synch to install (2 hrs) and has alternative power sources. I replaced my old gate opener and I am so happy with the new opener. I smile every time I enter my property. It is a god-send.

Check it out.

Steve

Old 01-06-08, 06:21 PM
K
Steve,
Does your gate come with wireless openers, keypad and vehicle sensor?

Old 02-08-08, 05:38 AM
I
I dont have a gate opener myself but my neighbor has had several over the last couple years. The Might Mule was one and it worked ok but with the Florida rain and bugs and ants they failed quickly. The failure was cause the first time by lighting spikes on the charging circuit and second time by
ants building a nest on the circuit board.
The company would not send parts for repair and the whole unit needed to be sent back with almost replacment charges for repair. The neighbor got tired of that after replacing 2 units and reconfigured a garage door opener to use as a gate opener. He installed a GFCI and has not problems with it since. He has had that for 2 years now. He has a release for opening when power is off

Old 04-08-08, 11:10 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post Technician familiarity, and parts availability.

In the first post, you mentioned some popular brands.

I like Door King's suitability for larger, heavier, gates. Like in the over 1 HP range. They wouldn't necessarily be my first choice for residential applications I believe you are trying to choose an operator for.

With all operator choices, I prefer to stay away from logic control. It's harder to come by, with manufacturers focusing on added features, and new UL compliance. However, solid state is very straightforward. When something fails, you can replace the failed part (contactor, relays, etc.), rather than being forced to replace a logic board.

Liftmaster / Elite makes a decent product. Most operators I know of will accept input for safety, reverse, center, and exit, vehicle loops. Do not treat this opening as a pedestrian gate. The Elite offers "plug in" loop detectors, and can also accept external loop detectors. There are also dry contact relay options for use of a magnetic lock.

I favor using PowerMaster, these days. A wide product range is offered. The operators are MADE IN THE USA.
Inside, you'll see the good kind of terminal strips. You will see quality Telemanique contactors. Drive belts, and motors, are readily available.

With original installation, especially with features, please make sure you choose someone knowledgeable of correct installation. The concrete pad you mount the operator on should go 18" below your local frost line. It needs to be placed as per instruction specifications. For swing gates, setting the pad out of position will be sure to cause gate arm nightmares.

If your are looking for those hydraulic ram types, I do not have any specific recommendations. The FAAC my previous landlord used seem to work fine for him.

There are 12 volt operators, that can be run by solar.

Gate operators are available with battery back-up, and input for access control, reversing devices, knox boxes, radio control, and the like.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-03-08, 02:50 PM
M
Look at Viper Gate Systems, I have two units from them and they have been great for the last 2 years now.I have a slide(TC-3 Model) and a swing gate opener(Js-3500 Model)they are very inexpensive for the quality of these units and they are also UL 325 compliant and ARL listed.They are just graet systems all the way around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: