Driveway gate posts

Old 11-29-07, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway gate posts

Hi,

First timer for this any help appreciated. I'm in New Zealand so measurements are in Metric, sorry.

I am building a fence with a driveway gate. Each gate is 1.5mtrs wide and 1.65mtrs high, wrought iron. I have bought some 2nd hand concrete posts that are 120mm (~5") square and 2.6mtrs high. I believe they are reinforced with rebar but will test a spare post before starting.

I am planing to dig a 900mm (3 foot) hole for each post footing as well as a 4 inch channel from one hole/post to the other, set the posts and fill with concrete.

I would like to know if this plan is solid? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nzsteve,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Fence forum.

Don't worry about using metric -- we'll convert it. (Might not be a perfect conversion, but it'll be close!!)

The gates are 1.5 mtrs by 1.65 mtrs -- roughly 5' wide and 6' tall. (How am I doing so far?) Your posts are just about 9' tall, you'll bury 3', and leave about 6' exposed. Sounds like it should work, except that you need to add a strip of concrete BETWEEN the posts that is a monolithic pour with the footings. Make it about 1 mtr wide and 100 to 120mm deep. This will prevent the posts from tipping due to the weight of the gates.