Temporarily Remove Fence Post

Old 02-25-08, 03:51 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporarily Remove Fence Post

Hi all...

We have a fenced back yard (alternating board) and I want to build an 8X10 shed. The area the shed is going to occupy is 11X11, bordered by the fence on two sides and the house on the third.

I want to build the shed outside of the yard then move it into position Egyptian-style on pvc pipes. In order for this to be feasible, I need to remove a post and 2 sections of fence. Is there anyway to do this without digging out the old post... can a cut post be "mended"?

Your thoughts and comments are most welcome,

Rick

Old 02-26-08, 06:41 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Removing the post completely is the best way. A cut post cannot be reliably repaired.

Consider building the shed in place. Start in a corner of the space with the floor and 2 walls opposite the corner. Then move the structure to the opposite corner of the space to build other 2 walls. Then move to permanent location and install the roof. Build the walls as panels on the floor and stand up into place.

Do you have set-back requirements when locating a building near property lines?

Good luck with your project.

Old 02-27-08, 08:10 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd build it in place as well, as Wirepuller38 suggested.

He's questioning property line set backs -- I questioning any requirements for seperation from the house to the shed.

Requirements vary GREATLY from one place to the next. Where I'm at, I could build the shed without a permit -- it's less than 120 sq. ft. I could build it pretty much on the property line, as long as the roof didn't overhang into the neighbor's property. BUT I would need 6 feet of seperation between the house and the shed.

Check BEFORE you build!!

As far as the post -- remove it, assuming that you can put the shed in the spot you are talking about. Once the shed is done, install a new post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: