Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Can a 4' high wood fence be converted to a 6' high privacy fence?

Old 03-17-08, 09:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 4 foot high, wood, non-privacy fence that I am considering replacing with a 6 foot high, wood, privacy fence. Other than pulling up the 4+ foot high 4x4 posts and replacing them with taller posts, is there a structurally sound way of extending the existing posts to make this task easier?

Old 03-17-08, 10:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Lots of ways - you just have to add 2' to the top of what you have in a way that ensures solidity. Unfortunately, most of what I can think of would be pretty ugly.

Old 03-17-08, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Going from a 4' high non-privacy fence to a 6' high privacy fence you be seeing much more wind and you should be concerned with the depth of the post in the ground.

You certainly do not it turned into a 6' wide wood sidewalk in your neighbors yard after all your work.

Dick

Old 03-17-08, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
After thinking a bit, you 'could' probably put lattice panels on top and replace the pickets. But that really doesn't give you privacy. Also 2' panels on a 4' fence would probably be a little out of proportion looks wise.

Ahhh nevermind.....

Old 03-17-08, 11:10 AM
J
Thanks for the feedback

I was wondering if there was a way to securely add 2 feet of fence post to each current post. Are there brackets available that would make this possible or would the recommendation be to simply pull the existing posts and replace these with taller posts. I believe that the posts are installed at adequate depts to support a taller fence. How difficult would it be to pull up pressure treated 4x4 fence posts that were installed with tamped dirt and dry cement around the posts?

Also, I installed the current fence 16.5 years ago. Would these posts need to be replaced in any event in a few years due to decay? The current fence is stable, but I am exploring this because of lingering concerns with the adequacy of my current 4" fence, which surrounds a swimming pool.

Old 03-30-08, 08:34 AM
T
Adding lattic at the top is one way

Old 04-02-08, 06:42 PM
L
jimsheehy1,

In answer to your question, replace the posts, for several reasons.

First there are very few ways to extend the existing posts that would be structurally strong, and the few ways that do exist will make for a pretty strange looking post.

Concider yourself fortunate to get over 16 years out the current posts. If you get 17 out of them, start buying lottery tickets, vist Reno, Vegas, Atlantic City, etc.

The extra wind load of a 6' fence as opposed to a 4' fence ALL occurs at the top of the fence. Your posts need to be deeper because of it. A 6' privacy fence needs 8' posts set 3' deep and the top rail at 5' above grade.

Old 04-02-08, 08:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by lefty
A 6' privacy fence needs 8' posts set 3' deep and the top rail at 5' above grade.
I usually sink mine 2' except for the corner or gate posts, which I sink 3'.

I don't see a need to sink line post 3' and I live in tornado alley.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: