Attaching a Picket fence to existing metal post

Old 03-22-08, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching a Picket fence to existing metal post

I have an existing chainlink fence. I want to replace it with a 4ft. high picket fence. The metal post appear to be in good shape. The land is level. Can I remove the fence and attach a picket fence? Can pre-cut panels be used for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-08, 06:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, and maybe. Depends on the distance between your metal posts. It may be best to install pressure treated 1x4 or 1x6's spanning your posts, and installing your own dog ear pickets. The panels are pretty expensive compared to stick built.

Old 03-22-08, 06:37 PM
My post are 8ft. apart. I was thinking of a picket fence. What do you think?

Old 03-22-08, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If they are 8', then you stand a good chance of using the premade panels. Quicker and uniform, although a little pricey. You will need to figure out how you will join the panels since your line post is only 2" in diameter.

Old 03-24-08, 07:51 AM
Hi -

In this case, could you attach the wooden posts (which go in between the sections) right to the existing steel posts? Now, it would be just like you sank the joining posts into the ground (did I explain that right?)

I'm doing something similar, but I could not use pre-made panels because the spacing between the posts were not similar. I went the way of attaching a 2x6 vertical piece to the existing post, attached 2x4 cross members, and bought pre-cut, PT dog-eared pickets from a big box store. I actually found it was cheaper per foot to do it this way, but it is a heck of a lot of work (I have 200 feet of fence to do).

Dave

Old 03-24-08, 08:46 AM
I've done this in the past by drilling holes in the chain link posts - and bolting a vertical 2x4 to the post to attach the wooden fence to.. Worked well - with no worry of wood posts deteriorating in the dirt over time.

Old 03-24-08, 09:39 AM
But what does it look like?!!

Do you live in a suburb or is this property located well away from any neighbors who might complain? Is there an HOA? What about your county code? (I know, Zster, we've already discovered you have a more relaxed attitude about codes than I )

It's not that hard to remove the metal posts.

Old 03-24-08, 10:34 AM
This particular property was rural with no neighbors.... hence no issues. Were I to do it in my current suburban property, I would probably do the same but box in the posts with 1X's for appearance sake.

Old 03-24-08, 10:54 AM
Oh, no, Z...My questions were directed to Dave. (Your fence is done without my nattering )

Old 03-24-08, 11:10 AM
Okay, that's it...I don't know who I'm talking to! The original post is from aubarry, not Dave!

Anyway, I think the idea of boxing in the galvanized posts is a good one- I just don't think bare galvanized posts with a picket fence is going to look right, whether you can attach it or not.

Old 03-24-08, 11:20 AM
Hi, Connie -

It actually looks pretty good so far. The neighbors on the other side of the fence are probably 150 feet away from the back of our property. So the good side faces us, and no one cares. It really is for cosmetic purposes.

The situation was this: the first owner of the house put up a fence on top of a rock wall about 45 years ago. He drilled into the rock and set metal posts into the drilled holes with cement. Then he tied 2x4s between each post, and erected individual pickets. He must have run out, because part of the fence was different pickets, chicken wire, chain link. Also, for about 70 feet of so, he must have had too much to drink, because the metal posts are no where near in line as you go down the length of the wall

So, I am basically in the process of repeating what was there, except I am using PT for everything (and making all the posts line up with extension pieces). I attached 2x6 vertical members to the existing posts using galvanized carriage bolts and nuts through holes that were already present. Then, I lagged bolted 2x4 "rails", upper and lower, between the 2x6s. Finally, I am putting up 6-inch wide PT dog-eared pickets that I can buy. Originally, I was going to make my own out of 1x4 PT, but then then I found these guys.

If I could figure out how to attach images, I would put some in.

Dave

Old 03-24-08, 03:30 PM
Dave, you can upload your pix to a host site...Picasa if you have a Google account, or photobucket. Then post the link here, or use the "insert" link right above where we type (It looks like a mountain with a sun.)