Wrought-iron to wood driveway gate,opener

Old 04-04-08, 08:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wrought-iron to wood driveway gate,opener

I bought an old house a year ago that has a wrought-iron driveway gate. I need a gate there, but some of the ironwork is broken off and I need more privacy. My plan is to cut off the broken iron trim leaving the iron frame, prime and paint it up, then reface it with cedar. I'm confident that I can make it look good. My concerns are that the addition of the wood might weigh too much especially when wet (this is a 14 ft wide single swing gate). Could I attach a wheel to the corner to help prevent sagging? Any thoughts on what type of wheel or how to attach it? Also, I have to install an automated opener (I'm installing a pool). I have no idea of what type of opener to look for, other than a swing-in opener. Any certain brands to look for (or avoid)? Budget is a consideration. Also, what size do I need? I live in the inner city in Houston, so wind isn't much of an issue during open/close I don't think.

Old 04-04-08, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
dneves

I can give you some info on the wheel at least. They make spring loaded swivel wheels specifically for this application. I have seen types that can clamp on to chainlink pipe gates, clamp or weld on to iron gates, and screw or bolt to wood gates. You should be able to find something at a good hardware store or farm supply.

No experience with the openers tho.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: