Fix My Gates

Old 04-07-08, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix My Gates

Recently had two 6 ft high and 5.5 ft wide dog earred fence panel gates that swing inside the fence perimeter, installed at the end of my sloped driveway front facing along the side of my house. They are attached to one front facing 8 ft wide panel onthe left and a side facing panel on the right, both sides of the gate attached to a 6x6 post. I wanted the posts attached in the front of the gate to accent the gates so I could put caps with lights on top and ornamental hanging brackets to hang planter baskets on the fronts of the posts on each side of the gate. I was told by my friend installing the fence, that the posts front facing along the gates would look bad, so they put the posts behind the gate panels and butted the gates up against the rest of the panels and it now looks like 18 foot of fence panel across my driveway with two handles on it (hinges are the inside of the fence)..... I wanted the gates to be a focal point - an entry. I need ideas on how to make this the focal point I wanted without spending a ton more money? Any ideas, or is this focal point of mine a truly bad idea??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Fence

Accent the gates by adding vertical 1x6 boards on the front and in line with the gate posts. Make them taller than the fence and box the top to give the appearance of a tall post. Other accent boards on the gates would add to the appearance.

Old 04-09-08, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Michele,

I've seen vinyl arbors that have a decorative, trimmed oval or circle in the sides. They look something like a round gable vent, without the ventilation slats. I looked for a bit to find something similar for you, but no luck so far.

Maybe someone will recognize what I'm talking about and have a suggestion that works?

Connie