adding a fence to a retaining wall

Old 04-07-08, 12:24 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a retaining wall and want to add an ornamental iron fence on top but can not figure out how to do it any suggestions, can I drill it into the wall or should i build post and then drill the fence into the post

Old 04-07-08, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What type of retaining wall is this? Brick, cinder block, stone?

If it's cinder or brick, and the wall is pretty stable, you can rent a hammer drill and secure the fence with tapcons or similar.

Old 04-08-08, 06:37 AM
S
It's a Anchor Windsor Stone wall

Old 04-08-08, 07:43 AM

Since it is an unmortared retaining wall, the posts MUST go into the ground well behind the blocks. You do not anchor to the block themselves.

Dick

Old 04-08-08, 10:09 AM
S
adding ornamental fence to wall

Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
Since it is an unmortared retaining wall, the posts MUST go into the ground well behind the blocks. You do not anchor to the block themselves.

Dick
I think you may have misunderstood the retaining wall is not made of regular stone. The wall was an add on recently placed in about 2 years ago with stone blocks that are mortared together. They are there pretty solid, ex: a car crashed into the wall last year and it is still standing a couple of cracked blocks that need to be replaced but still solid, do you have any other advice. I want to put the fence on top of the wall to prevent people from using the wall as a sitting area.

Old 04-08-08, 11:29 AM

It is my understanding that Anchor Wall Systems Windsor Stone is not intended to be mortared. The entire system is not intended to be mortared and are meant to be laid on a compacted gravel base. The Windsor Stone cap block are usually adhered to the top of the wall and do not have the ability to resist the kind on lateral loads you can get on a handrail.

Where does the real stone fit into the question? Did you build a mortared stone wall on top of a Windsor Stone Wall? - A picture might help to explain the situation.

With a SRW wall, like Windsor Stone, the posts are normally attached to a poured slab above or are embedded into the soil or a Sonotube concrete foundation behind the wall.

Dick

Old 04-08-08, 11:50 AM
S
adding ornamental fence to wall

Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
It is my understanding that Anchor Wall Systems Windsor Stone is not intended to be mortared. The entire system is not intended to be mortared and are meant to be laid on a compacted gravel base. The Windsor Stone cap block are usually adhered to the top of the wall and do not have the ability to resist the kind on lateral loads you can get on a handrail.

Where does the real stone fit into the question? Did you build a mortared stone wall on top of a Windsor Stone Wall? - A picture might help to explain the situation.

With a SRW wall, like Windsor Stone, the posts are normally attached to a poured slab above or are embedded into the soil or a Sonotube concrete foundation behind the wall.

Dick

I'm new to this site and have not figured out yet how to add pictures but if you tell me how to do so I'll get it done that will probably help out alot

Old 04-09-08, 08:26 AM
S
pictures

Originally Posted by sngause
I'm new to this site and have not figured out yet how to add pictures but if you tell me how to do so I'll get it done that will probably help out alot
I know I'm probably being a royal pain in the butt, but I took some pictures but do not know how to add them to a text here if there is a email address I could send them to let me know

Old 04-09-08, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upload the pictures to a photsharing site like photobucket.com and then post the IMG link here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: