Problem: concrete slab with cut out stairwell.

Old 04-10-08, 10:17 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem: concrete slab with cut out stairwell.

I have an older home that has concrete stairs descending to the basement. At the top of the stairwell, and surrounding the cut out, is a concrete slab without a fence. My son could easily fall down the stairwell from the top.

I want to put up a fence and gate around the cutout stairwell but I'm not sure what the best option is. I've seen so many iron gates that are drilled into concrete only to see the concrete crack and the screws become loose/free and the railing is subsequently "shakey".

What are my options if I go 1) the 4 foot iron fence rail and gate or 2) do something other than drilling/cutting into the concrete slab? Any recommendations/ideas are greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-08, 01:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
belstner,

Welcome to DoItYourelf.com and the Fence forum.

Using wrought iron panels on each side of the opening and a gate across the front would be easy. If you can anchor the 2 side panels to the wall of house, you only need two posts at the corners where the gate will be. If you don't want to anchor to the wall (which I probably wouldn't), you'll need 4 posts.

"Loose/free ... shakey" -- really not an issue as long as you use posts with at least a 3" square mounting base and 4 redheads that are 3/8" X 3-1/4" at each post. Cracking the concrete won't happen as long as you keep your holes for the redheads at least 3" away from the edge of the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: