Vinyl Fencing Problem

Old 04-13-08, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Fencing Problem

I am wanting to install a 3-rail PVC style fence in place of a wood fence that already exists. I already have treated 4x4's concreted in the ground, and would like to keep them. I want to use PVC sleeves, but can't find anything to then mount the horizontal rails to the post with. They make all kinds of brackets for railings, but none that I can find for just the 2x6 rails. Obviously, I won't be sliding the rails through the posts... Anyone have a solution? I want it to be more sturdy than the rails just sitting in a bracket like this.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-08, 07:20 PM
JL
one solution..... but requires a LOT of work on your side but I think MUCH better looking in the end....

I also did not want the "bracket" look so researched EVERYWHERE and found a few vinyl companies that would work with me ..... ended up ordering the "professional" series fencing products but had them NOT INSTALL the premanufactured railing pockets into vinyl post sleeve...... if these come preinstalled then you will not be able to slide outside post sleeve OVER the post (as these pockets recess far inside...... You can do BELOW steps first.... THEN come back and put them in with stainless steel screws.....

**note >> "professional" series is same as regular one BUT is with pre-routed fence post sleeves to allow the rails of the fencing to slide directly into the fence posts and be "hidden" .....
however, because I wanted it SOLID i , too, installed wood posts into the ground....

I placed the vinyl post sleeve over the post.... figured out level lines and heights for all and then traced out pre-routed openings to the wood posts..... took off the vinyl sleeves, and then proceeded to use a variety of tools to route out those sections of the wood posts..... routers, circ.saws, dremels and finally wood chisels.

worked exceptionally well and LOVE the installed look once all completed...... Your only issue with this type install is almost impossible to get wiring up through the post for post cap lights...... i went with bright, solar LED's on top to solve this.

Again, a LOT more work than needed for fencing but if you like that clean look, as i do, then you will definitely go this route.....

good luck

Old 04-13-08, 08:39 PM
I'm not totally opposed to the bracket look so much as the type of bracket. I was hoping for something that slid over the end of the 2x6, then bolted to the post with a flange or something. Just not something that the 2x6 rested in, if that makes sense.
Your idea sounds very dedicated and solid, however, I have over 500 linear feet and 75 posts to do... and not an unlimited amount of time to do it in...
Any other solutions?