Replace Chain Link Fence with Wood Fence

Old 04-14-08, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Chain Link Fence with Wood Fence

Hello, We are first time home buyers, and we are looking to replace our existing chain link fence with a 6' wood fence. Can we use the metal poles? Could we just bracket the wood fence to the 5 foot metal poles?
Or, do we have to cut them off/remove them?

What is the easiest way to do this but one that will last?

We are very new to home repairs but catch on quickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 09:43 PM
first do city codes allow you to install a wood/privacy fence?
then yes you can use the metal poles, simpson makes a braket that fits metal poles and ataches (curses I can't spell)
to the cross pieces, I use stainless steel screws so if I have to I can replace parts easily.

remember Murphy was an optimist.

Old 04-15-08, 07:13 AM
They do allow us to put up the taller fence. We will look for those brackets then. . . is it okay the metal fence posts are shorter than the 6 ft fence? That was our biggest concern?

Old 04-15-08, 08:20 PM
watch out for a few things.

The fellow is right simson strong tie sells steel bkts to attach wood to medal. but, the chain link post if you can push on the top of the post and fill like you can bend it. The wall thickness is to light. Most back yard chain link fences are too weak to hold the weight of a wood fence and the wind load. However, the old c/l 30 to 40 years old is made of heavy thick pipe and would be able to handle the wood. If you are using treated pine material it's rec amended to have your top 2x4 6" below the top of the picket. If your steel post are 1' short you need to extend the steel post or shorten the wood fence. the pickets will warp real bad if the 2x4 drop below 6".