Horizontal wood on metal posts?

Old 04-21-08, 09:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Horizontal wood on metal posts?

We're planning a fence, but instead of the typical vertical pickets, we'd like to place them horizontal. Something like the fences you see on this site:

http://www.kirsch-korff.com/Pages/fences.htm

Not the really complex designs, just simple, and we were planning on using PT wood. We've all ready set PT posts in the ground with concrete, and now we're thinking we're going to have to pull them up. They're not going to be stable enough to hold up the gate. We used 8ft posts for a 6ft tall fence (someone recommended 10ft posts with 4ft in-ground but hubby didn't want to do that). Now I'm even wondering if we should use metal. He wants to build a 6ft gate (two sides 3ft each).

We live in S. Florida, West coast, and our soil is sand. Not packed sand, it's just kind of loose and easy to dig. That's why we can usually just pull up posts. The PT posts we put in aren't loose, but if you pull and pull on them really hard you can barely wiggle them a little. So, I'm thinking, we may have to try to pull them up or dig them out and start all over (btw, it's only four posts so far, so a pain but not a huge deal).

So, my main questions are:

1. Should we definately try to use metal poles instead of wood?

2. Whatever type of poles we use, how do we anchor them in our soil?

3. My hubby is in aluminum. He used 4"x4" aluminum poles to replace the wooden posts on our porch, and it works much better. I think we can also get them in brown, or paint them ourselves. Can we use something like this for a fence? We have the same type of hollow pole for our mailbox, and with the way the concrete sets inside and around it, it's really solid. A neighbor's friend who'd been drinking (superbowl party) ran into our mailbox and damaged their car, and the pole didn't move or bend.

4. What ever type of pole we use, how can we attach the pickets horizontally? The Simpson brackets for the round posts only work vertically. If we can use the hollow square aluminum, can we attach the boards directly to the post like we would a wooden post?

Thanks for any help or ideas anyone can give us.

mj

Old 04-26-08, 08:03 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Using steel posts (or aluminum, since that's what the hubby is into) will work just fine. The pics you posted probably have wood posts, but using steel or aluminum posts can be done just as easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: