Hydraulic Auger any good for digging?

Old 05-14-08, 05:44 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hydraulic Auger any good for digging?

Were installing a fence this weekend and looking to rent an auger. A local fence company said to avoid getting a hydraulic auger and recommended a one man auger....something about a hydraulic taking forever to get into harder ground.

hydraulic auger:

http://www.groundhoginc.com/1M.htm

Any suggestions on what works best to make quick, clean 3' holes? We will be facing some harder soil and the occasional large stone.

Sorry for the rush, but if anyone knows anything, can you try and post before Friday so I can rent the best option.

Thanks for the help,

Nolan

Old 05-14-08, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From experience, the one man auger is safe, since it will only kill one man at a time (hit a root or large rock). The one on your link at the top is the best one to use if you have to do this alone. I use one on my tractor, so I sit down all day, but look into the diameter of holes versus the number of holes and the depth, and I believe you will settle on the beam type.

Old 05-14-08, 07:37 PM
E
I would get a one man little beaver, the hydraulic auger moves very slow and it has a real heavy head. The only advantage is that it has reverse. But since it moves so slow it will not dig in hard or rocky ground. The one man little beaver will knock out the holes fast

Old 05-14-08, 07:40 PM
E
Originally Posted by chandler
Welcome to the forums! From experience, the one man auger is safe, since it will only kill one man at a time (hit a root or large rock). The one on your link at the top is the best one to use if you have to do this alone. I use one on my tractor, so I sit down all day, but look into the diameter of holes versus the number of holes and the depth, and I believe you will settle on the beam type.
If you use the torque bar you will have no problem with roots or large rocks

Old 05-14-08, 09:12 PM
also call the one call line to check for utilities, 811
when i installed my fence 22yrs ago i hit my neighbors electric line (it had been installed on the property line at only 18 in deep) got lucky no one injured I was wearing rubber boots. but could have been prevented by a phone call.
murphy was an optimist

Old 05-14-08, 10:06 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I also have the little beaver,... one man with a torsion bar to absorb the shock.
It is a fantastic machine, does a really good job on most soils. Roots over a 2" diameter is something you should try to avoid... and rocks over the size of a softball would give you issues. For the most part the drill will go through clay like it was not even there... And if you use the 10" or 12 " auger bit you will have very clean holes as far as 3' deep in 2 minutes or less.

Yes for sure,.. Always call for a Utility Markout. Most times you can find the number in the 800 directory. The call is free, the service is free and for all that you have a chance to save a life, Your own.

Old 05-15-08, 05:44 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Post Hole Digger

Remember to lift the auger out of the hole every 6 or 8 inches as it digs. Otherwise, it will hang up in the bottom of the hole and you will be wondering how to get it out.

Old 05-15-08, 06:20 AM
N
My choices are:

Little Beaver 1 man mechanical:
http://www.littlebeaver.com/prod_mechanical.php

or the Groundhog hydraulic
http://www.groundhoginc.com/1M.htm

I spoke to a fence guy who agreed with a few posts up that a hydraulic is going to have a rough time digging into the hard ground. He recommended the 1 man mechanical. The Groundhog website seems to think that their hydraulic will dig into the "hardest soils"....no idea which to use.

I already have the utility lines marked and I plan on drypacking cement for the gates and corners. Should I do anything different to provide more support for the gate posts? It doesn't seem like drypacking will make a solid base until it settles in and gets some moisture.

Old 05-16-08, 04:56 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
One of my nephews rented an auger that looked just like a GroundHog with (I think) a 24" auger. I never worked so hard in all my life! The biggest problem was lifting the auger when it was full of dirt. Both my nephews and I swore we'd never use one of those again!

So when I had to auger about 30 holes, 12" diameter for a fence, I rented a Dingo: http://www.dingo.ws/html/att/posthole.htm . It took just a few minutes to learn to use it and I didn't even break a sweat! It's self propelled and didn't even groan when I augered through a couple 2" tree roots. Yes, it cost a few bucks more, but not that much more. It was really worth it to me.

Old 05-16-08, 09:06 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
And after I have had the area cleared for underground utilities, I just search to local service directory in the newspaper or the yellow pages and call in a contractor who drills fence posts with a mini-excavator. He'll do whatever size I need, up to 24", and I don't even break a sweat!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: