Shadow Box Fence

Old 05-21-08, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shadow Box Fence

Anyone have any idea what a reasonable cost would be for a 80 foot shadow box fence ?

Living in Florida and don't want to stockade the neighbor in!

Like the idea of the spacing with high winds occasionally taking down stockade fences

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-08, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am also getting ready to start my shadow box fence in north central PA. Do you want a high grade lumber like cedar, etc. Because I called the local mills and got quotes from them for rough lumbar! I need 300 ft. of fence. So for 300 1"x6"x10' hemlock boards and having them plain both sides it is costing me 720 dollars for the boards. I then went and bought 4x4x10' posts (30 of them) and 800lbs of concrete for 420 (roughly) dollars. This way is a cheaper way but will still last for a while. My coworker told me about this and his has been standing for 13 yrs and has had to replace only 4 or 5 boards. If your doing 80ft. that shouldn't be a lot of money I would think, but you do live in florida and the prices may be different. I have a post on here about a Hemlock fence. I will end up spending around 1500 dollars after its all said and done. They call these a good neighbor fence and we do have great neighbors. This is for our 2 little boys under 3 and our dog. GOOD LUCK

Old 05-22-08, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Trying to remember how much my fence project was. We did the back of our lot (80') and about 20' up each side a couple of years ago using pressure treated 4x4 posts, 2x4 horizontals and 6' dog-ear fence boards. The big box store materials ran us about $800, I think.

Old 05-22-08, 01:40 PM
Board on Board,

I am in NJ, Prices vary with location, materials, and heights of the fence you are installing.
Cedar in 6x8 sections would cost you between $85.00- $115.00 per section.
Spruce costing much less at between $54.00 and $67.00

The lower numbers represent 1"x4" boards.
The higher numbers represent 1"x6" boards.

Of course you can go to a Home Depot and buy a pressure treated board and pay a little less than a spruce product, But then you are purchasing pressure treated pine. In my opinion having a pressure treated fence is a much less attractive wood to use as a fence.Plus their materials are usually thinner than what you would find in a fence distributors yard , or lumber yard.

Old 05-23-08, 03:18 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pressure treated fences aren't as nice as vinyl or cedar, but you can stain them like a deck/porch. I would have loved to put up a vinyl fence but I need almost 300' of fence!! I figured it out and it would have cost me about 7800 dollars to do it. No thanks!! I want my fence to look nice but that is crazy. I would rather use that money and put new windows in the house or put it towards new vinyl siding. Good luck.

Old 11-01-08, 05:19 PM
Thumbs up Shadow Box Fence

Thanks for the reply's! Haven't abandoned ship, just put project off for awhile!

Back on track with a new book from Home Depot!

Being a professional, now, I will proceed with my sledge hammer to hit the nails, jig saw to cut the posts and different colored nails and screws to keep the modern look!

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again Bob