Needing Fence Suggestions..

Old 05-26-08, 10:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Needing Fence Suggestions..

Hey everyone. I was searching the world wide web looking for ideas on what to do with my fence. I stumbled across this site, and figured it couldn't hurt to ask around.

I recently purchased my first home last August. I absolutely love my back yard. My family spends many evenings resting in our very own "Private Getaway"..lol

Well I have two out of three neighbors who don't care for their yard and let it get to the point of becoming an eye sore to us. My first idea was to just put up a privacy fence and be done with it. My only problem with that is I would have to remove 7 trees to make this happen. To be honest I will be doing good to be able to afford the fence alone much less paying to have these trees removed. On top of that... I just love my shaded yard.

I have seen where people made some sort lattice that will hold a vegetation that basically becomes a privacy fence. I really like the idea of having a pretty natural fence compared to a plain wood privacy one.

I am thinking of adding something to my standard fence to accomplish this. My questions are, what do I add to the fence that will last a good bit & hold up to the vegetation? What could I grow on the fence that will look nice and not attract a ton of bugs like mosquitoes.

I am not terribly concerned with upkeep seeing how I love working in the yard (I'm still just tickled I have one..lol) So having to trim or prune the fence every once in a while will not be a huge factor in my decision.

A little info that may help... I live in Northeast Texas, and I have a standard chain link fence. I am not wanting to go the entire length of the fence with this. Just the back and one side.

Sorry for going crazy with this thread. I just would love to have something done to make my family's private retreat everything it can be.

Any kind if input on this will be greatly appreciated.

~Thanks

Old 05-26-08, 11:15 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you already have the chain length fence, why not plant some shrubs or trees along the fence line? Consider height and width at maturity and space accordingly out from fence and properly distance from each other. Fences make a great backdrop for borders.

Your local Cooperative Extension Agent can make recommendations for trees and shrubs that are hardy to your area. You mention you are in NE TX, but that may or not mean the panhandle. Check your hardiness zone here: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/cemap/hardiness.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: