attaching stockade fence to exiting metal posts

Old 05-30-08, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attaching stockade fence to exiting metal posts

I have an exiting stockade fence that is attached to metal posts that i want to replace by using the same metal posts, it just seems like it would be easier than taking them out and putting in new wood posts. My problem is the fence attaches to the post on the top and the bottom behind the section of fence. When the person installed the fence there was no fence behind it(neighbors put up there own fence) now when I put up the replacement fence I can't get to the bottom clamp to attach the section of fence. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-08, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can you remove a couple pickets? You are using the 8' panels, correct?

Old 06-01-08, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wood to existing steel posts.

This is a very common occurence.

First consider a starting point. If you a lefty you would start on the left side corner of the yard working your way backwards up the fence line. If you are a righty you would start in the front right side yard working your way backwards towards the corner of the yard.
You need a drill, probably an offset head and a ratchet . Or even a 3/8 extension with a 1/2 deep socket and the same offset drill or another one if you have two.
The reason I say an offset drill verses a standard type is that you said there were two fences back to back. I am assuming you would not have too many questions if the fences were not very close.
First pre-drill with a lesser diameter bit than the lag bolt you are using.. (Typically a 5/16" x1-1/2" lag predrill with a 1/4" bit). But even this would depend on the size of the holes on the type of bracket you have on your steel post.
Then after predrilling, you put your lag into the backrail of the new section of stockade. Working your way down the line to your corner post. Making sure your brackets are at the height you want your sections to fall.
If by chance you pass a post without adjusting the height do not take it all apart, , , Just do as "HotinOKC" states and pull a few pickets off closest to the steel post and get behind there to loosen the bracket and slide the section up or down.
Oh and , before I forget... Make sure your steel posts have caps on them. If not they will be a basin for rain water, bee nests and who knows what else.
Plus the posts will eventually rust through.

Old 06-02-08, 08:44 AM
Wood to existing steel posts

The fence behind my fence is very close so I guess the only way to do it would be to remove a few pickets on every section of fence. I just thought maybe there would be a easier way. I will have remove the pickets on about 50 sections of fence.