Gaps between privacy fence boards

Old 06-19-08, 02:02 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gaps between privacy fence boards

We didn't know wood would shrink...and when our new privacy fence was built, the vertical treated pine shrunk, creating gaps between each of the over 500 6' high boards. Some of the gaps are now as wide as my index finger. Question: Is there a cheap strip of wood (something similar to a 'yardstick') that we can get real cheap, so we can tack each one over the gap? Help!!! I've even tried scraps of wood from an area pallat mill...but it will take forever to get enough decent pieces....Ripping 2 x 4 into enough strips to cover all 500+ board gaps would cost us a couple hundred dollars...we can't affrord it....the fence blew the budget. Thanks...

Old 06-19-08, 02:41 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pressure treated battens used to be available. Check at your local building supply.

Old 06-20-08, 08:55 AM
K
Batten..and where to get it?

I've spent hours now searching online for "batten"....seems to be a well-used product in England and Australia. I've called area sawmills, they have 'no idea'....and fence suppliers haven't a CLUE! Home Depot, etc etc only sell finished molding strips, or thick pieces. Nobody seems to have these thin "yardstick-sized" pieces of 'batten' or 'cull wood'. Can you be more specific about 'battens for covering fence gaps', like, maybe, nobody here in Arkansas knows any solutions to my problem. They usually smile and tell me 'that's what happens with treated wood'............ Help, please....))

Old 06-20-08, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
the words "Real Cheap"...and wood, no longer go together. You can get PT lattice strips, about 1 1/4- 1/1/2" wide x 1/4" thick x 8' long, but they'll run about a buck a piece. And even then you have to search and cull through the stack to find ones that look ok and aren't warped and twisted.

Ripping them yourself from dry straight PT 2x stock would be much cheaper. If thats too much $, then I'd say you may have to deal with it, and do a small amount at a time as the money and mat'l becomes available.

Old 06-20-08, 12:21 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Thin Wood Strips

What you are looking for is called "Screen Mould". Look at your home center where the moulding is located.

Old 06-24-08, 06:03 PM
C
Shrinking Wood

When I put my fence up I used screws (as you should). Once the gaps appeared, I unscrewed the slats and moved them closer together, then added some new boards to the end of the fence. Certainly a lot of work, but hey, it filled in the gaps and only cost me the price of some extra boards....

Old 06-25-08, 04:00 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
KLLN Radio,

You can always "shadow box" the fence -- put fence boards on the other side of the rails that are centered on the gaps. That would be as inexpensive and look better than trying to get slats, battens, etc. to fill the gaps. Or start moving fencd boards as cwogorsuch suggested. A little more labor but less money since you would only be buying one fence board per section. Forget the idea of screen moulding. it's pine, and you may only find fingerjointed. That's not going to last more than a year outside.

Old 06-25-08, 06:15 PM
C
shadowbox

Great idea - I didn't even think about shadow-boxing the fence. I have another section that I think I will try that on.

Old 11-04-10, 03:44 PM
D
gaps between fence

I went down and bought some chain link fence weave and stapled it on the wood. My gaps were huge, and we had someone come in to give us a bid-over $500 to shadow box it, just on one side-ridiculous!!

This stuff I used looks okay-it certainly fixed the problem, and now I do not have the neighbor children sticking things thru the holes. Any type of mesh would work, too. Just buy something that is made for the outdoors.

Shadow boxing really is the only way. All the other types of small wood warp. I know several neighbors have tried it

Old 11-06-10, 10:26 AM
G
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gaps

:Peeping On U2:Heck ....I left a gap in my fence on purpose!! But then again... I'm kinda weird.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-17-24, 02:29 PM
D
Closing gaps on privacy fence...

We bought lath strips at Menards for this purpose. They're 1 1/2" wide and about 1/4" thick, 4' long. Untreated pine. They come in large bundles, unsure how many pieces per bundle but a bundle costs about $15. Some of the pieces are unuseable but most are useable. We stained our fence grey and are staining the strips the same color. I'm using my hydraulic stapler to staple the strips to the fence. I only staple them on one side in case of expansion/contraction of the fence boards.

Top section is finished, bottom section is not yet.

Old 04-17-24, 02:55 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
Don't be too hasty to block the gaps. If you live in high wind area, those gaps will allow wind to pass through. Also, those pickets or slats are very cheap and are not properly dried. They will warp and if tightly against each other could buckle the boards or loosen the fasteners.
But in the world of practicality, those gaps caused by shrinkage is so minor I'm surprised anybody cares. It's not as if a person can get clear view and what is the difference? Usually, a privacy fence is for securing a dog and provide basic privacy during backyard activities.
In my case I want the gaps, so I can get glimpse of what might be happening on the other side. But to each his own.

Old 04-17-24, 03:20 PM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
14 year old necro thread that has 78,000 views

Old 04-17-24, 03:35 PM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
wow! never even saw that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: