help-reusing chain link fence line posts?

Old 06-26-08, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question help-reusing chain link fence line posts?

I'm trying to help my daughter install a chain link fence to keep my granddaughter safe. She's an active little girl!! My daughter has been offered a used chain link fence including the line posts. My understanding is the posts were dug out, not cut-off, and have old cement attached to them. Can the posts be reused? Should the old cement be hammered off (if possible) first before recementing in the ground? Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 11:21 AM
Reuse of old posts

Hi Kathy ,

I have been asked many times to go to a customers house and remove their chain link fence and reinstall in a different location of the yard.
So , yes to both of your questions... Yes the old posts can be reused, and it would be better to remove the old concrete bases from the posts.
To remove the bases from the posts all you need do is hit the base of the post (NOT THE CEMENT) with a 12-16 lb sledge hammer...The cement would literally vibrate off the post. It may take a few hits to make it happen, but it will work.
If you hit the cement instead of the post, it would also eventually work, but the cement will chip off in rather forcefull little rockets of rock... this is very dangerous to your eyesight and should not be your first choice.

Be sure to wear "safety" goggles and a good pair of gloves.
Please use Safety goggles verses ordinary glasses. Safety goggles, or safety glasses wrap around the eyes preventing flying objects from getting into your eyes from most angles. Ordinary glasses will not usually prevent anything from entering the eye from the sides.
The gloves should be used because the cement may have small pieces of either metal or glass contained in the mix. Becarefull with what is the unknown.

Good Luck ,

Greg

Old 06-30-08, 05:24 AM
Thank you!

Thank you very much for the response. The tips you gave are appreciated more than you know. We will give it a try, wearing safety gear, of course. Kathy C.

Old 07-28-08, 09:48 AM
Smile removing cement from used posts

The cement came right off the posts - no problem at all! Now the posts can be reused. Thanks for the input. Kathy C.

Old 07-28-08, 11:43 AM
Thank you for the update... It is nice to recieve a post with the results of all that put into these posts.

Enjoy !