Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

should i get materials from big box or a fence company?

Old 06-30-08, 10:01 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

i thought i read in some posts that suggested to go through a local fence contractor for supplies (building a 6' cedar privacy fence). for 137' of fencing, (285 6" boards, 23 9' posts, 38 8' rails), i was quoted about $2200. when i looked online for cedar boards at the blue box, they were $2.50 per, which would be about $700 for boards alone, and i can't imagine the rails and boards would make up the additional $1500.

is the difference in price probably the quality of the boards? through the fencing company, i will be getting all grade 1 or better boards, and i'm not sure what the quality is like at the big boxes. any insight into whether that estimate seems high or if i'd be better off going through a big box? thanks.

Old 07-01-08, 01:31 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If you priced wood in the big box stores, you are the only one who would know what the quality of the wood in your store is . Here in New Jersey, the woods are more or less a number 2 at best. Most are still wet, or knotty, or both.
Wet wood is not the best for any fence because when the wood dries, and it will, the wood has a tendency to twist, bend or just plainly curl up.
Check the grain, look for using a less knottier wood, . On the posts, make sure the posts are squared off on the corners,... things like that ...

Being carefull and "shoppers wise" does not mean that you will say no to the bargin deals... After all , lets remember, you are only making a fence ... not an oak cabinet.

Good luck,

Greg

Old 07-01-08, 08:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just purchased $3000 worth of cedar for my fence. I price shopped around quite a bit and ended up buying direct from a local saw mill. It was a lot cheaper then any of the box stores around town and the wood is of better quality ... plus they took cash

I paid $3.15 per 1x6 6' boards Grade 1; $2.00/ft for smooth B grade posts, and $5 per 2x4 - 8'. That would be about $1,500 for your project. I don't recall what the box store was charging, but my total quote was nearly double what I actually paid.

I'm on the west coast (BC, Canada) - access to a cedar mill was quite easy for me and prices are cheap(er) then other areas, so take my pricing with a grain of salt unless you live close by. Just note that in my experience the box store was NOT the way to go for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: