wooden fence on a steep slope

Old 07-09-08, 10:31 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wooden fence on a steep slope

I'm building a fence and have a slope going up at about 25% grade in the back. Four 8' sections are up that slope. Posts are set and long enough for up to 7' and I'm doing 6' boards with 1' section of lattice on top.

The question is about accommodating the slope. I originally wanted to do horizontal, level rails even on the slope but on each 8' long section with a level rail the fence is 6'-7' high on at the low post, and only 4'-5' high at the high post (uphill).

So, I'm thinking there are two ways to solve this:

1. installing rails at the same angle as the slope and having to deal with a bit of board cutting and longer rails + longer lattice section

2. leaving rails level but making the lattice top account for the grade. That is the top of the boards would be level, but the lattice section would have one end 1' high, and the other end 3' high.

Can anyone comment on those options please? Stair-stepping sections look cleaner to me than following the grade (raking?). Can lattice section be uneven, providing its set in a good frame?

Thanks
Milo

Old 07-09-08, 01:47 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Run your rails parallel with the slope, install your fence boards plumb and forget the lattice panel on the top.

If you are REALLY set on having the lattice, build your own panels that match the slope. The ends of each panel will be plumb, the top and bottom rails of the panel will follow the slope, and the lattice will be cut square with the ends, angled to match the rails. You'll waste a lot of lattice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: