Fence Post Spacing

Old 07-11-08, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fence Post Spacing

Hello,

Since I have really long sections of fence (around 200 ft per stretch) I would like to make the fence as sturdy as I can within reason. How much benefit would there be to decreasing the space between posts from the standard 8 ft? I was thinking 7 or maybe even 6 ft. What would be considered a reasonable trade off between strength and cost. I am using Postmaster steel posts.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 05:44 PM
Fence Post Spacing

You did not say where you are geographically or what kind of soil you have.

Since you have decided on Postmaster posts, you have to live within the limitations.

If you look at the specifications on their site, you will see that 8' is not the standard, but the maximum under ideal conditions. - I would suggest a maximum of 6' if installed deep enough for the soil and wind condtions.

The spacing and plumbness of the posts is very critical.

you may also have to provide design documentation if a permit is required.

Old 07-11-08, 07:18 PM
Sorry about the lack of information - I just now realized my location wasn't displayed.

I am in Sacramento, CA so no worry about frost. We have very heavy clay soil.

So, would it be advisable to go less than six feet apart? And how deep? I would REALLY like this to be the last time I do this as I plan to be here for another 20-25 years.

Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-08, 02:19 PM
One more question - what did you mean by the limitations of Postmaster posts? I thought they were much better than your standard fence post - they are certainly a lot more expensive.

Old 07-12-08, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe he was talking about spacing. With a 6' high, 8' spacing, privacy fence, Postermaster is rated to handle 70mph winds which meets/exceeds UBC (Uniform Building Code) "B" exposure codes.

I wish I knew about these before I put my fence up....

Old 07-13-08, 04:06 AM
Yes, I was talking about the spacing between posts - sorry if I wasn't clear on that. It is a typical 6 ft high fence.

I know the standard is 8 ft between posts, but I was wondering what would be the best (within reason, of course) considering that I have such long runs and we do get heavy winds out here at times. I want to avoid leaning posts as well as I have had that problem too with wood posts, after only a couple of years.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-17-08, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I believe he was talking about spacing. With a 6' high, 8' spacing, privacy fence, Postermaster is rated to handle 70mph winds which meets/exceeds UBC (Uniform Building Code) "B" exposure codes.

I wish I knew about these before I put my fence up....
What I was wondering about is that if 8' spacing meets code, how much is gained by reducing the spacing to 7' or even 6'. Is it worth the additional money? I have had fence problems for awhile and REALLY want to avoid dealing with this in the future. I am so tired of digging up and replacing posts...

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Old 07-19-08, 10:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
8' spacing is the norm. You would have to check with your local building department to see if they have any requirements. Having your posts set closer then 8' makes the fence stronger, but your spending a little more money.

Having your posts less then 8' makes it easier to install because you can cut the 8' 2x4 stringers to the exact length, and not have to worry about being dead on 8'.