Poorly Hung Gate - Drags on the ground

Old 07-24-08, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poorly Hung Gate - Drags on the ground

I had a handyman make me a wooden gate. He did a terrible job. After he hung the gate it sticks on the side and on one side of ground because of the grading of the cement. I need to trim the bottom edge of the gate to align with the ground (which is not level, it slopes about 1.5 inches from one side to the other.) Is there a tool I can use to trim the bottom of the gate, or do I need to take it off the hinges and start over? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-08, 04:50 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gate

Place a 2x4 flat on the ground along the bottom of the gate and mark the cut line. Remove the gate, place it on saw horses or other support and cut with a circular saw.

Gates in this situation should be built in place to fit the opening.

Old 07-25-08, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
If it sticks on the top latch side and drags on the bottom latch side as it operates, it could be that the door has sagged. Especially if it worked fine to begin with. A screen door turnbuckle might square the door, helping to bring the bottom latch side and the top hinge side closer together.

They come in 2 pieces, and you just put the 2 ends together, screw it on diagonally, and then turn the turnbuckle to square the door. Here's what they look like:

image credit: homeandbeyond

You could also accomplish the same thing by shimming the door into shape, racking it back to square... then glue and screw a diagonal brace to the back of the door. Perhaps your handyman didn't do this? Hard to tell without seeing the door.

Old 07-25-08, 06:21 PM
There are kits specifically made for sagging gates that are,in principal,like the screen door version but made of heavier materials and usually use wire rope cable instead of the steel rods.If you do use the screen door version try and find the heavy duty type.

Old 07-26-08, 03:58 AM
This is one of those situations where I either ask a whole bunch of questions, or there is a picture that can answer everything I need to know.
I will be brief.
If the gate worked from day one and fit into the opening between fence sections then the gate should be sticking on the top,latch side right ?
This can be caused by more than just the gate frame alone. If this is a typical wood gate installation where you have sections of fencing along the right and left sides of the gate your gate posts may have moved. In that what I mean is that your hinge post may have bowed over on top... It sometimes happens if the posts warp.
You should observe the 2 gate posts, where they attach to the next section of wood materials. Is there a firm connection between the post and the section of wood?Perhaps the nails pulled out ? Perhaps there is no section of wood and just a wood post set in concrete, in which case perhaps the wood post bowed as soon as it broke free from the concrete base...
Perhaps the post just needs to be tamped level again..
Either way you repair this situation, taking the gate off would be the easiest way for you to manage accomplishing the task.
If the problem does not exist in the posts, then the gate itself is where the problem lies. In that case it could be that the gate trusses were not screwed. It could be because the hinge was not properly installed. It could mean that the gate was never really built securely. I like to double nail pickets on the gate. This usually keeps the pickets from warping regardless of nature wants it to do. This also gives the gate more strength to endure people opening and closing and sometimes slamming the gates.

In your case I think it would be best to find out if the problem exists in the gate or the gate posts. If it is the gate posts and you just attempt to fix the gate to accomodate the opening as is, the post can and probably will keep moving. And the gate will drop again, and it would more than likely stick again.
The problem can be any one of the reasons I gave you , or it can be a combination of all of them.

If you take a look at it , come back... I would be happy to help out from the first screw to the working gate.

Greg~

Old 07-26-08, 04:01 AM
Opps...

And, that was my way of keeping it brief. lol

Old 07-26-08, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gate

The experts are correct. I failed to add that you need to scribe a cut line on the side which is sticking and trim that as well.

Old 07-26-08, 09:52 PM
Thank you for all the information. This gate is brand new. It appears the problem is because the ground/cement is very sloped from right to left. So when the gate was hung, even though the bottom was made straight, it ended up to high on the latch side. After complaining, the worker did draw a line on the bottom of the gate and marked a cut line. He did then remove the gate, and cut with a circular saw. (Unfortunately, he didn't really follow his line. It is much better but still not even.) I'm not sure how many times you can remove a gate from its hinge and still be able to screw it back in securely. I'm able to live with it for now, but at a later time I may go with a rod-iron gate. I'll be sure to point out the situation with the sloped ground for the next gate! Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Old 07-27-08, 05:53 AM
I apologize... I guess one assumption was that the hinges used were the type that the worker, or yourself could just pull out the pin taking the gate off without removing the hinge from the post or the gate.

In your case, I gather the hinge used was with a fixed pin. That type of hinge would not have been my first choice for the simple reason of what you are experiencing now. In regards to the hinge and the gate being attached securely, the lag bolts can always be swapped out with a long machine bolt, nuts and washers.
In regards to your gate, being un-even on the bottom...All the time we fence folks have to deal with ground that is uneven from one post to another... that always makes the job harder to work with..But it is the job none the less. I am sure that your situation is not much different than any others out there..and I am sure there could have been another way for the fence to be installed. Still, that does not mean that the installation you had done , by the company that did the work was done incorrectly. It just means that the gate, does not work well with your application.
I would love a few pictures from different angles of your gate, gate posts hinges and latch... It may help me to make a better suggestion on a repair.

No one should have to go through the life of a fence saying
"I guess I have no choice other than to live with it".

Greg~

Feel free to send me pictures to [email protected]
I would be happy to suggest a better answer if there is one.

Last edited by GregsFence; 07-27-08 at 09:11 AM. Reason: grammer