installing vinyl fence- setting the posts

Old 07-26-08, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing vinyl fence- setting the posts

i am going to be installing a vinyl picket fence soon. it will be 8 ft sections, 48 inches high. holes will be 30 to 36 inches deep. instructions call for 2 - 60# bags of concrete for each 4" post. is this only meant for the end post and corner post, or is this for every post i set? some have told me i don't need to cement the line post, but i would like some professional advice. my build sheet shows i will have 40 post, 30 line post, 6 end post and 4 corner posts. so am i looking at 160 bags of concrete or can i do this with less. also, which concrete is most recomended, the fast setting or just the regular ready to mix quikrete? please help, any advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-08, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normal every day quickrete mix is fine. Speed in the cements setting is not an issue as digging the holes will not be as easy as mixing some 20 wheel barrows of concrete.
Take your time... Do not mix more than you can use.. Keep in mind that your fence like Rome can not be built in a day.
As for the amount of concrete per post, I would agree that 2 -60lb bags are sufficient for a typical 4' high fence that uses a 4" square post.
Oh and by the way ... You must cement every post... Not just the ends. The other way would work on the first day of the installation, but eventually, over time, with the wind, rain and settling the entire fence would look like poop !

Do the job right the first time and your fence will give you years of beauty.