Need help/advice on tension wire

Old 07-29-08, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help/advice on tension wire

I have a vinyl coated chain link fence that has been damaged by large dogs pushing underneath it. I recently purchased a new puppy and would like to install a tension wire to the bottom of the fence to prevent future "breakouts'. I am not familiar with HOW to go about installing this on an existing fence - can some one please advise? Do I try to weave the tension wire thru existing fence or attach with hog rings? Do I go from terminal post to terminal post? and wrap around the terminal post? I would appreciate as many details as possible.......
Thanks
Gen

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-08, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coil wire is not meant to be weaved into the wire mesh. Instead it is more so intented to be a backer for the wire mesh.
In a typical installation the coil wire would be installed on the same side of where ever the mesh would be installed. If you had a back yard where the wire was going to be put onto the outside of the posts, good side out, you would first install the coil wire by running it on the outside of the fence posts, tying them onto the base of the posts at an even distance from the top of the fence down. Try to maintain at least one full diamond from the bottom of the fence so that you can hog ring the coil to the wire mesh.
After the coil is installed, then you would apply the wire mesh.

In your situation the best way to do the job would be to remove the bottom 2 ties from each post. With a helper, one person would pull from the coil while the other person unravels the coil to the man or woman pulling. The person pulling would be untwisting the coil ... You can either untwist all the coil you need to line that one side, or you can untwist and install at the same time.
Push the wire mesh away from the posts, and install the coil between the wire mesh and the posts.
Once the coil is in place now your job can go back to the original installation.
I would suggest tying the coil to the posts before and finishing that job before hog ringing the coil to the mesh.
Make sure to keep the coil wire running straight along the bottom of the fence line... Otherwise from a distant sight, you would have a messy job.

Good luck !